Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mobile Skin Requests

88 posts in this topic

I've decided to redo the whole mobile skin. So I want to open this thread up to those who have "requests" on things they would like added/changed/whatever to the skin. The overall look/design will stay the same, some areas will be tweaked.

Why have I decided to do this?

I originally started this skin to be iPhone only. Over the past few months its been tweaked to work on Android, webOS and Blackberry. There have been "many" requests to make it more friendly to non-webkit browsers so a recode of how all the templates/css are done will be needed. Since the current version strips all default javascript, I will be including it in the new version of the skin (so things like shoutbox will work).

There isn't any ETA on how long this will take, but I just wanted to give you guys the heads up. So if you have any input, please leave a reply. (No crazy features either :P, limited to what functionality is in the default ipb3 skin)

Note: The price will also increase to $20 instead of $10 (due to amount of extra flexibility). Current subscribers won't have to worry at all, this new version is included. So just a heads up.

Support for Unreal Portal. Maybe different color schemes?

Edited by theoscentral

Support for Unreal Portal. Maybe different color schemes?

Still up in the air about Unreal Portal, templates for that were a mess.

As for the color scheme stuff, thats a good idea... will def have this.

Still up in the air about Unreal Portal, templates for that were a mess.

As for the color scheme stuff, thats a good idea... will def have this.

White, Dark, Blue, Midnight Blue, and Green :)

I originally started this skin to be iPhone only. Over the past few months its been tweaked to work on Android, webOS and Blackberry. There have been "many" requests to make it more friendly to non-webkit browsers

Why? Don't bother. What non-webkit browsers (that matter, that is) are there?

iPhone, Android and Palm are all webkit -- not really sure what else there is left? Blackberry? I think those need to get something that actually passes for a real browser, first -- and the next generation browser they are talking about will also be webkit based.

As far as I was concerned - the present version of the mobile skin was close to as perfect as any mobile skin would get. If that's going to get thrown out the window, then there's no point.

I think, IMO, a more pressing matter would be bringing regular desktop browser skin and mobile skin in line to run on the same forum version, so as to make it possible to actually integrate them.

As it stands, with the mobile skin being IPB based, and the closes forum skin being vBulletin based, the twain would never meet, making one or the other pointless.

Just my $0.02

7c53f9c9.jpg

The bottom corners of the tab is curved. That would look great if it's possible. Also a new search bar design like the above posted image.

Your mobile skin is already near perfect.

I didn't test it on Android / Blackberry / webOs, but if it works on them, it just rocks.

I don't currently have requests for a better skin, as I find the current one so good.

Knowing your love of details and refinement, I bet the new skin will be even better.

Thanks a lot.

Shame I don't have access to a zune, could try to get the skin to support that plus windows phone 7.

hey guys, i'm new here but have been running an ipb forum for about 4 years now...

first of all amazing job on the skin, top quality. very easy to install and surprisingly complete, i honestly didn't expect so much functionality for so little cost!

if I can make a few suggestions for the next version, hopefully some of them may help:

1) the web app mode in iphone/touch. I've been developing a few web apps over the last year and i think the secret to stop getting that first click opening safari is that you need to hijack the links so they don't load in safari but instead get called in using ajax. I use a plugin for jQuery called jQTouch and it does a lot of the same stuff as iUI and more, http://www.jqtouch.com/ is the site.

Actually, just the one thing now I think about it. If you need a hand getting the skin to work as a web app by all means drop me a pm and i'll do what i can. From memory the basics of it is hijack the a tags, prevent them from loading in safari and instead get jQuery to download the next page and replace the content on screen with the data returned.

Oh, just remembered jQTouch also has some info on how to create a manifest file which you can use for asset caching on the device. I believe it may also work on other devices that support HTML5 such as Android and possible Pre? Basically if you stick a list of all the asset images and css it will download it once to the phone and run those items locally, saving a fair whack of bandwidth and download time. Again give me a shout if I can help.

Regards,

John.

Ah, theres no way I would be able to do pure ajax for the forums. Thats more a mod than a skin.

I think gallery support would be cool, also a way to allow people to share links with twitter/facebook from the skin (like some sites viewable via iphone/android allow)

Yea, I think I'm gonna attempt gallery support this time. I'm just afraid it'll take more time skinning that then the forum it self (this was like that with blogs :P)

Heres some "tiny" improvements on the board index (ignore the design, it is a placeholder)

• forums collapsible
  • forum status icons are back to being images, (useful for those who want to use "forum specific" icons)
  • last post arrow will take you to the last post
  • when in landscape mode, you can see the last post title

1ab553.png254f47.png

Heres another shot with "full width" (will require a slight template tweak). Also a staff bar so you can easily get to the report center + admin link. (once again ignore the colors/design, they're not final)

33c0d6.png

Is it possible to make it work with VBulletin? That would be great!

I won't start the vbulletin version until there is a way to do auto-useragent detection. (like IPB3 has).

This has to be the jankiest addon... but it will work now :P

shoutboxf5ec8.gif

Would you be able to enable image uploading from the iPhone to the forums? That was one of my major issues with the original lo-fi skin.

Thanks! :)

Would you be able to enable image uploading from the iPhone to the forums? That was one of my major issues with the original lo-fi skin.

Thanks! :)

iPhone doesn't support <input type="file" /> as there is no file system on the iPhone yet... Hopefully Apple adds this to the next iPhone OS update.

I'll keep posting updates.

Here is the user menu with the color picker at the bottom.

img_002542c80.png

I won't start the vbulletin version until there is a way to do auto-useragent detection. (like IPB3 has).

There is!

I use a plugin for exactly that purpose and it does a great job directing to display different skins based on user agent.

iPhone doesn't support <input type="file" /> as there is no file system on the iPhone yet... Hopefully Apple adds this to the next iPhone OS update.

There is no need - iPhone supports sending image files either from the photo album, or via the camera, and uploading them.

(once again ignore the colors/design, they're not final)

both colors and design look actually very nice in your placeholder, looking very funcrional.