Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Standalone Stack 2

188 posts in this topic

Hi, Matonga. I just wanted to say that I really like Standalone Stack 2.0.5. Unfortunately, I, too, am having problems getting it to work correctly. I am using the latest free version of Object Dock and Circle Dock, and the latest version of Standalone Stack 2.0.5. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have used Rocket Dock, but I really like the built-in Weather Docklet of Object Dock, so, I guess I'm sticking with Object Dock.

Following the instructions below, I was able to successfully add a working Standalone Stack to Circle Dock:

http://circledock.wikidot.com/stack-docklet

However, I have been completely unsuccessful in adding a Standalone Stack to Object Dock. I have unzipped all the files from Standalone Stack, and copied, pasted them into the Docklets folder of Object Dock. The option to add new Stack Docklet does not appear in the context menu of Object Dock. If I attempt to run from within Standalone Stack 2.0.5, and create a new stack, copy, paste it to my Desktop, and drag it onto Object Dock, it fails to work as well. The new Stack that I created does not appear. Instead, Standalone Stack 2.0.5 simply gives me the option to create a new stack.

Can Standalone Stack not run successfully in two instances across multiple Docks? i.e. Is the Standalone Stack 2.0.5 instance running within Circle Dock preventing a new Standalone Stack from running?

Is Standalone Stack not yet capable of working with Object Dock? I would expect to at least see the option available with the Docklet context menu options in Object Dock, but I don't.

Thanks for Standalone Stack 2.0.5, and thanks for your time and consideration,

amethystzephyr

Moved - mps69

Edited by amethystzephyr

amethystzephyr

For all issues with the Standalone Stack application please post in the forum topic titled "Standalone Stack 2" Also download the latest version to make sure that any bug fixes you are suggesting/asking about haven't already been made

For all issues with the Stacks Docklet please post in the forum topic titled "Stacks Docklet 2" Also download the latest docklet version to make sure that any bug fixes that you are suggesting/asking about haven't already been made.

Hope this helps some people out. Standalonestack version 1 and Stacks Docklet version 1 aren't in development as they have been both upgraded to vers. 2.

For all issues with the Standalone Stack application please post in the forum topic titled "Standalone Stack 2"

I'm afraid that my post was not entirely clear. All above references in my previous post refer strictly to Standalone Stack 2.0.5. That is the latest version, no? And I may be wrong, but it seems to me that this is the "Standalone Stack 2" forum topic. Yes, no?

I'm afraid that my post was not entirely clear. All above references in my previous post refer strictly to Standalone Stack 2.0.5. That is the latest version, no? And I may be wrong, but it seems to me that this is the "Standalone Stack 2" forum topic. Yes, no?

This is the standalone thread, I moved your post from the Stacks thread, and scissorhands7 was correct in point this out.

This is the standalone thread, I moved your post from the Stacks thread, and scissorhands7 was correct in point this out.

Excellent, thank you.

Any help on this, please?

@amethystzephyr

Since it is a standalone stack, the stack stands alone from the dock.

What I mean by this is that it isn't a docklet, its like a portable program.

1. Unzip the standalonestack.zip to the C:\ directory and not objectdock's directory

2. Open Standalonestack2 program located in the new folder in C:\

3. After you create your stack, there should be an option to send shortcut of the stack to the desktop.

4. Drag the shortcut onto your objectdock

5. This should now work.

The reason there is no context menu for objectdock is because it is not a docklet but a portable application. If you would like the docklet version of the stacks, please refer to the Stacks Docklet 2.0 thread.

And yes the standalone stacks docklet can run in multiple instances on multiple docks.

Edited by scissorhands7

@amethystzephyr

Since it is a standalone stack, the stack stands alone from the dock.

I will volunteer to appear like an idiot so that no-one else has to. Standalone Stack 2.0.5 did not work for me for one reason, and one reason only. I did not edit the user permissions for Standalone Stack *latest version*.

Wherever you have saved Standalone Stack *latest version*, be it C:\Program Files, whatever; right-click on the Standalone Stack application, and

click Properties; click the Security tab; click the Edit button; select your user profile; click the check box next to Full control.

You might also want to repeat the above process for the folder to which you have saved Standalone Stack *latest version*.

Standalone Stack *latest version* will now work perfectly, and remember all your created stacks.

In addition, I created a folder called 'Standalone Stacks' on my C: drive, and I collect all my stacks in that folder for inclusion in whatever dock in which I need to use them.

User Account Control should be the first step in troubleshooting any application that does not appear to be working properly.

In closing, I'd like to thank Matonga for the multiple hours that he has put into creating this highly versatile piece of software.

Thanks Matonga, and thank you scissorhands7 for your prompt reply,

amethystzephyr

That was my bad then ameth. I wasn't aware that you weren't the admin of your own machine.

That was my bad then ameth. I wasn't aware that you weren't the admin of your own machine.

***The following is rather tangential and not entirely within the subject matter of this particular forum; however, it is my hope that my experience will serve to clarify certain issues that some other readers of this forum may encounter.***

And, scissorhands7, I must admit that I'm not as savvy as I previously thought when it comes to all the ins and outs of my OS. I re-installed Windows Vista Home Premium on my own machine, and I followed all the instructions, responded to all the necessary prompts as I reinstalled the OS from disc. I inputted my User Name when prompted, selected the User Account Picture, and the Desktop Background, all that happy jazz. I did not realize that the OS was going to limit or restrict my access to certain inner workings of my own machine. And, I must tell you, it's sneaky. I cannot tell you how many freeware and shareware applications reside on my machine that Windows Vista granted me only limited access to. Anything from BART, caffeine, stickies 6.7a from zhorn software by Tom Revell; to Automatic Wallpaper Changer by Steve Murphy; etc... you name it. I went in and manually changed the User Account Control permissions for every one of these programs.

Let this serve as a heads-up to everyone concerned. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7, or any other operating system by Windows, be aware of all the hidden implications forced upon you by User Account Control.

I went in several weeks after creating my User Profile, and created an Administrative Profile (with no password). Vista informed me that if I added a password to Admin, that I would be voiding several licenses and certificates on that account. And, even after having creating that Administrative profile, I was unable to alter the contents of folders in \system32.

If you are using any Windows product; forewarned is forearmed.

Knowledge is power,

amethystzephyr

Edited by amethystzephyr

New : 2.0.6 - small release before my holidays

- Stacks can now overides default options

- Add X,Y offset to set open position with mouse

( old version 2.0.5 can be found here :old 2.0.5 )

StandaloneStack 2 is released !

StandaloneStack 2 ( i've just modify my old page :rolleyes: )...cut...

Hello I'm vera

I've just downloaded StandaloneStack 2 from your web-site cause I think its a great tool. Well done! I used StandaloneStack 1.1 for a year and happy for this version update

just one thing, u verify hash codes for the second realease, nothing about hashes for this too.

I always choose to download and use on my PC digitally signed'software or, at least with hash codes like MD5 and/or SHA1 and/or CRC32, to verify that the program has not been corrupted or tampered during the download.

For now I try your program only on my Virtual machine for this reason.

So this is the reason why i am asking your support: please can you public (on forum or near download link on the site) or give me (mail) hash codes for the original Zip-package or/if u want also for the execut. (EXE) inside?

I hope you answer me as soon as possible

Thanks a lots in advance and best regards

vera :)

Edited by BugMeNotAnymore

New : 2.0.6 - small release before my holidays

- Stacks can now overides default options

- Add X,Y offset to set open position with mouse

( old version 2.0.5 can be found here :old 2.0.5 )

Thanks ChristianS,

Sure, have a good holidays

The issue with not creating shortcut on a Desktop for those who do not have default settings still exists,...

but we can overcome that obstacle... by moving the shortcut to the "real desktop"

That is not convenient but neither that is "deadly"

...probably you can do it in the next release after having a well deserved rest :-)

Cheers!

Edited by SwampCat

Do you know if it's possible to change Stack settings after creating them? It seems like all the settings are locked to the default.

Do you know if it's possible to change Stack settings after creating them? It seems like all the settings are locked to the default.
Hi eli2k,

what settings in particular are you talking about?

Can you list them?

As I found user cannot rename stacks, for example if you go to settings.

I consider that very inconvenient and that would be another improvement for developer to consider in addition to what was discussed above

So what other settings are locked?

My regards

Edited by SwampCat

Hi eli2k,

what settings in particular are you talking about?

Can you list them?

As I found user cannot rename stacks, for example if you go to settings.

I consider that very inconvenient and that would be another improvement for developer to consider in addition to what was discussed above

So what other settings are locked?

My regards

Well, if you go to My Stacks, and then you select the stack that you are working with, there are three subheadings (Options, Fan, Grid), and these are all greyed out. The seem to be replicating the stuff under Default settings. Unless the developer intended to allow the user to modify settings on a per-stack basis, if these settings are the same as Default settings, then there really is no need to have these here.

I agree not being able to change the stack name is a bit inconvenient, because you have to delete it and then make it again.

I'd also like to have an option to allow the highlighting to exist on all the files, instead of just ones that have very long filenames. And having some sort of glow or box, or maybe a slight zoom, around the current file being hovered on would be a good user feedback thing (not sure of the proper terminology here). But I'm happy what's it's able to accomplish so far without needing any extra things!

Unless the developer intended to allow the user to modify settings on a per-stack basis

Yes that was generally the idea, thus with folders/stacks that include a much larger amount of icons you can decrease the icon size for just this stack/grid. With stacks/folders for smaller amounts of files in them you can increase the icon size, thus getting better visuals.

It's a great improvement, one I think should be kept.

hum, it's not possible in the option, but you can change the value of "Start video preview at" and set 9000.

If you video is less than 9000 secondes (2h30), it will show no preview

Dude this is totally awesome. IT has everything I ever wanted! Kudos to Christian for this awesome app. And its the fastest ive seen.

One request do I have, however. I would love to be able to right-click stack items to access their context menu.

would it be possible to have a stack that remembers its relative path? im using it as a mini portable application launcher.

Hi Guys,

There was a question here about disabling video previews

I never used the preview feature, so I decided to try it.

I created a stack that points to one of my directories with videos.

I cannot get previews, just the normal thumbnails are displayed

showing the format , say FLV... etc.

What could be wrong?

or my understanding of how that's working is incorrect

"Animate video thumbnails is checked"

"start video preview at" is the default 10 sec

Thanks in advance

Hey guys,

Not sure if I'm in the right place but I have a question/request for Stacks docklet V2 for RocketDock; I've been using V1 for a while now and it's great, but I gave V2 a try just yesterday and can see the improvements that have been made on the original and would love to be able to switch.

But the one major problem is the fan view on V2 only expanding upwards, which is wonderful when Rocketdock is at the bottom of the screen, but it's unusable for me since i have my dock at the top of the screen.

Grid view expands up or down depending on where the dock is, but I love the fan view too much to change.

I'm not even sure if this docklet is still in development, but if it is, having the fan view expand down when the dock is parked at the top of the screen would be much appreciated.

For now i will stick with V1 because it seems to do everything that I want, and the fan view works well.

Thanks for all your work.

Regards,

Jay

Moved to correct area - mps69

The expanding error with the fans is a known issue with the stacklib.dll that standalonestack2 is based upon. It isn't an error with the standalonestack2 app itself, just the original .dll that chrisnsoft uses to "power" his standalonestack2. Matonga (creator of stacklib.dll) should fix this problem, but currently he is in the process of converting his coding for the stacklib.dll to a different and more usable language.