Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Customising Osx Leopard With Magnifique

4 posts in this topic

Just thought of sharing this app to the community here, since the other well known skinning app (shapeshifter) does not work on OS X Leopard as of now...

from http://magnifiqueapp.com/

logo.png

Free Software

That's the first thing you need to know about Magnifique, the free theme switcher/applier and manager for OS X Leopard. It's completely free, and will always be free (although an occasional donation doesn't hurt). We believe that theming is free, and that it should be enjoyed by everyone. All the themes in our repository are free as well, because we do not believe in commercializing theming to earn money out of it.

Open Format

Theme files have the ".mfq.plugin" file extension that designates them as files for Magnifique. This format is completely open. No encryption, compression, or anything is used to prevent you from seeing exactly what's going on. What you see inside a plugin is exactly what you get, which makes it easy to see what you are putting on your computer. And since this format is open, it is easier than ever before to create a theme package for Magnifique.

Downloads built in

Magnifique has a built in theme downloads system that can list and easily download themes directly from our servers right onto your computer, without the usual hassle of using a web browser and manually installing themes. There are virtually no delays either, so you get access the moment a theme is released. You also get to see theme reviews and comments, and in most cases, a preview image, so you know exactly what you are downloading.

Dedicated Community

What would a theming app be without the talent of all those themers? Well, with Magnifique, you get the products of a dedicated community and an amazing team of themers that always do their best to bring you what you want, when you want it. And best of all, although donations are accepted, themes do not cost a single penny out of your pocket.

Magnifique Exclusives

Why do theme creators choose Magnifique as the method to distribute their creations? Because it is easy, fast, and gets the themes out to a wider audience. With Magnifique you gain access to some of the latest state of the art native Leopard themes that you will not find in any other format. And even better is that this application has given theme creators incentive to create more themes, so that means you'll be seeing things more frequently!

Uninstallation supported

There is no reason to keep a theme applied when you don't want it anymore. So Magnifique allows you to uninstall the theme with a single click of a button. In case that fails, we have many other alternate solutions available on the forum, and even a built in command line restore script that will allow you to restore your system back to original in the case that you cannot boot. You have our help every step of the way.

---------------

Disclaimer; this software was not developed by me

Edited by 1337Lime

I use Magnifique... I'm not too sure if I like it or not... The ability to theme leopard is nice, but I do wonder if it is a good idea or not. The interface is really ugly and sluggish, trying to look at a preview takes for ever. I don't think the downloads should have been built in... bad idea. I used it previously and had some problems. Stopped using it. Two or so months lkater came back and tried a different theme but haven't had too many problems so far.

But as soon as Fa├žade comes out, I'm switching!

Good idea, but the app is not too Apple-ish, I mean, it seems like the developers didn't read the Mac OS X User Interface Guidelines. I was unable to put the default Leopard theme again, and had to download any theme, apply it, then uninstall it.

No theme did fit my search (I want a dark theme, but not a black one, just dark gray). I guess I'll have to do it my self though I'm no graphic designer, so...

I hope the best for this program, it needs some UI adjustments and of course more themes, but up to now it looks promising.

Hey,

Official Magnifique person here.

Magnifique 3.0 is currently under developement and should be ready for public beta soon (private alpha currently). I think the GUI in the new version is much better, and it is coded in obj-c cocoa, so it loads SO MUCH FRICKIN FASTER. Not quite sure what you mean about having issues with the default theme, if you would like to discuss it further, please post at www.magnifiqueapp.com

As for the gray theme, check out my port of Rhino, available inside the app in the downloads section.

Yes, magnifique does not have as many themes as shapeshifter, but it does not have to be that way. With the release of ThemePark 4, it is not super easy to make themes, and then just import it into magnifique.

So follow magnifique @magnifiqueapp and stay tuned for magnifique 3.0.

--ameeps

Edited by ameeps