Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dock For Earlier Windows Machines

7 posts in this topic

well my little brother owns a Sony Vio running Windows ME and i have tried to emulate it into a older mac like a Mac Puma, or Cheetah... but sofar i only have the finder bar but i was wondering if anyone knows of a earlier dock for this older windows????

I think you'll be very lucky to get a dock running on ME. Most development for docks were aimed at XP at least.

AFAIK ME was just a beefed up version of Windows 98, while W2K was getting developed.

You could try RKL, but I wouldn't hold your breath, if you can try and at least bring the laptop up to XP level.

Definitely Y'Z dock, which uses fewer resources than any other dock. You'll need gdiplus though, which might or might not be available for ME.

If the laptop has at least 128MB of ram, it deserves Windows 2000. Will be actually faster than ME, more secure, and gdiplus works - so AveDesk, Y'Z software, etc.

lol well ive tried yz dock, moby dock, Rkl, objectdock, and lol i even tried x windows but all of them say GDI something is required and blah blah blah lol :P

but i tried to search for the gdi thingy on microsoft but i cant find it :'(

The problem with Windows ME is it doesn't support "layered windows". Layered windows are semitransparent windows, like the dock, avedesk, and others...

So, you have two options at this point:

1. Request someone to write an opaque dock (like the one in NextStep, with opaque background and no zoom effect).

2. Install Windows NT 2000, which supports layered windows. I've installed Windows NT 2000 in a 48 Mb RAM notebook, 133 MHz CPU. It loaded in... lots of time... but once the system did fully boot up, it runned like silk.

Just install windows XP It's a great operating system and if you would like I can tell you how to slim down the OS so that only the minimal components are running so you won't have any problems with speed.

The problem with Windows ME is it doesn't support "layered windows". Layered windows are semitransparent windows, like the dock, avedesk, and others...

So, you have two options at this point:

1. Request someone to write an opaque dock (like the one in NextStep, with opaque background and no zoom effect).

2. Install Windows NT 2000, which supports layered windows. I've installed Windows NT 2000 in a 48 Mb RAM notebook, 133 MHz CPU. It loaded in... lots of time... but once the system did fully boot up, it runned like silk.

Just install windows XP It's a great operating system and if you would like I can tell you how to slim down the OS so that only the minimal components are running so you won't have any problems with speed.

well i can try to get Windows NT 2000... but i gatta do it uhh under the table............i have no $$$

i would like to install windows xp on it but again no $$$ lol :P