Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Aqua Scrollbars

7 posts in this topic

Can anyone help me out by extracting Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger's scrollbar images? Not sure if they are in TGA, PNG, BMP, JPG, or GIF formats. It doesn't matter what format they are in. I have seen tons of skins/themes out there for many different applications on Windows, and all of them seem to have the same flaw with the scrollbars. The "Aqua" effect, when you scroll, the circle-like texture inside the blue bar doesn't move when the scrollbar does.

The reason I am requesting these resources is because I want to skin an application on Windows Vista with my resource editor, and it needs to be perfect. I know that this is possible, because previous versions of iTunes had them fully implemented.

Thanks in advance.

well sorry to disappoint u dude. The latest full version for Safari (3.2.2) for Windows also has the aqua UI. But these are specially coded and made for these apps. It's deeply intergraded with the app which derived from Mac OS X. So I think what ur trying to accomplish has been the dream for us emulators for AWHILE now.

Yeah, I figured it was complicated. I remember looking at a skin/theme/app. one time with my resource editor, and finding an image that had the Aqua scrollbar as well as the texture (the part that doesn't move) as a seperate resource. If anyone is willing to share something similar to the texture, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Edited by Hucz

You can rip the image by taking a screenshot, but if you're after a "static background" of the scroll bar that doesn't move along with the bar itself, well... don't think Windows supports that, does it?

1. Yap, static background is exactly how Mac OS X works.

2. Mmm... WindowBlinds? maybe... I dunno.

I realize that this is coming almost an entire year after the last post.

Apparently the aqua scrollbar gel-like effect is possible via a theme on a GTK 2.10+ Linux desktop setup.

Can anyone shed any light on what coding method is being used to achieve this effect?

UPDATE:

of the effect in action.

Since my opening post, I have abandoned the Vista project, and have moved on into Firefox 3.6 theming.

Having said that, I think this effect is still possible.

Firefox's rendering engine is easily customizable.

XBL/XUL, CSS, and JavaScript codes are very powerful ways to completely alter the browser's appearance.

I'm confident at least one of these methods could be used to recreate the effect.

Edited by Hucz

I realize that this is coming almost an entire year after the last post.

Apparently the aqua scrollbar gel-like effect is possible via a theme on a GTK 2.10+ Linux desktop setup.

Can anyone shed any light on what coding method is being used to achieve this effect?

UPDATE:

of the effect in action.

Since my opening post, I have abandoned the Vista project, and have moved on into Firefox 3.6 theming.

Having said that, I think this effect is still possible.

Firefox's rendering engine is easily customizable.

XBL/XUL, CSS, and JavaScript codes are very powerful ways to completely alter the browser's appearance.

I'm confident at least one of these methods could be used to recreate the effect.

In Linux/Gnome/Ubuntu GTK 2.x themes, this is achieved by overlaying an image with a semi-transparent middle/center on a static "wave" image. using the method/concept in firefox however is iffy, i think, to say the least.