Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ObjectBar questions: floating menu and system meters

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently purchased ObjectBar and am quite happy with it so far, but I have a couple of questions:

1) See attached image: I have a strange bug where if I click on my Apple icon (I'm using Crni's SmoothStripes theme), I get a floating menu that doesn't go away. It sticks even after I've moved my mouse away from the Apple icon and floats on top of all my other windows, and even if I unload ObjectBar and start it up again, the menu reappears. The only way I've found to make it go away is if I overwrite the .obtheme file in my folder and reload it. This doesn't seem like normal behaviour... is it a problem with OB, or with the theme?

2) I'm really not sure if this question has been answered, it might very well have been, but I've tried searching everywhere and really can't figure it out. Is it possible to have OB display system meters with icons similar to a Mac menu bar, like for example a CPU/RAM/battery meter or a working wifi meter? Quite a few screenshots I've seen have wifi meters displayed but I don't know if they actually do work as on a Mac or if they're just icon replacements for the Windows wireless icon. I know OB comes packaged with some built in meters for CPU, RAM and battery, but I can't seem to get their icons to change properly.

I'm running 2.1.0.756 on Windows XP SP2. Any help is much appreciated :)

post-61569-1204625248_thumb.png

1 CRNI's Smooth Stripes is an old theme, released even before ver 1.65 (i think). you have OB ver2.1 so such bugs sometimes happen. That 'floating menu' is actually a sub-menu of the Dock item in your Apple menu.

If you are familiar with ob customization, i'd suggest you delete that container/sub-menu, then make a new one (just remember what the sub-menu items are, eg. Turn magnification off...etc.).

Otherwise you can try newer themes, there are several 'leopard' themes out there...

2 Those system meters you see on objectbars or taskbars are widgets, - yahoo i think, or is it google, avedesk, or samurize?...

Thanks for the help! I haven't been able to find a newer theme that I like as much as this one, but I will keep looking... I've been playing around with OB customisation for a while and am fairly comfortable with the basics of it, but the menus on CRNI's bar are elements called "Advanced popup launcher" which I can't seem to find in the list of available elements. Are they from older versions of OB? Is it possible to get them in this newer version?

And thanks for the tip on Samurize, I checked it out and it does pretty much what I want! :)

Majority of ob themes are configured ala-Mac, that's why the 'Finder, File, Edit etc...' you can rename those items in the main bar as well as make new sub-menus for each, tailor-made for you.

you can also change the skins/colors/fonts of other ob themes to make them look like Smooth Stripes, but without the bugs...

regarding themes that you like, search here at aqua-soft, or over at osx-e. DA also has a lot of nice themes...

I have the latest version of Objectbar 2.1 and I downloaded some themes that have that bug with the floating bar that does not go away also and I either delete the theme or just right click on the submenu and click hide bar and it goes away but with the same problem when you restart the app or just reboot in general

Any suggestions ?

Also with some themes that I have downloaded the taskbar option if it is hidden within the main bar and you need a plus icon to un hide it-It completely freezes the object bar and then I have to restart or reboot the computer and I also have that recurring problem that I cannot remedy

Don't just hide it. Delete it. then Save. you can then make the exact same menu/sub-menu.

the second pararagraph i don't get. you probably meant that OB freezes when you click/unhide icons of the SYSYTEM TRAY? check out newer themes...

What were you looking for in Samurize? Is it a system tray widget or something? Maybe a SS will clear my confusion up =)