Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The world's thinnest notebook. Macbook Air.

52 posts in this topic

[newsimg]http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/01/1-15-08-mbfamily2.jpg[/newsimg]

macbook-air-keynote-1-15-08.jpg

Apple just announced the .16-inch thin MacBook Air -- a laptop so thin it fits in a manila envelope. The new machine features a full-size keyboard and LED-backlit 13.3-inch display with built-in iSight, and the new larger trackpad supports multi-touch gestures. Just like the iPhone, you'll be able to pan around, pinch to zoom, and rotate with two fingers, and move windows with a flick. Apple got the size down by using the same 1.8-inch 80GB drive that's in the iPod classic, but you'll be able to order a 64GB SSD as an option. The Air eschews optical media, but there's a separate external you can snag for $99 and Apple's also announced a feature called Remote Disk that'll let the Air get data off the optical drive in any PC or Mac running the Remote Disk software. Pricing starts at $1799, and the Air will be shipping in two weeks.

Apple Macbook Air first hands-on

Meet the new Macbook Family

Jesus, it's here!

Check back in an hour when my order is in :D.

PS: I call dibs on Time Capsule ;)

I just don't see how anyone would buy an MBA over an MBP. The only advantage is thinness.

I normally love whatever Apple makes but this just seems like a bad idea. Yeah its thin... but the harddrive... iPods have larger harddrives... the only advantage besides how thin it is is that it has a multi-touch trackpad which is pointless... I do think that the Time Capsule thing is cool... I already have an Airport Base Station Extreme... so I may get that or may not... I can live without it. The iPod touch apps should have been on the iPod touch in the first place... I personally have an iPod touch so I may get them... but for $20? I'm not so sure. I also think that the movie rentals are alright and the tv movie rentals make the tv good... I was hoping for more and hoping that there'd be a MacBook touch and that docking station... that would have been great... I have to say I am still disappointed with what Apple did... over time I may grow used to it though...

Oh damn... Sci-Fi thanks for posting. I got stuck up in family stuff and couldn't sit through live keynote as I usually do. :(

Anyway, here's my take...

I still wouldn't take MBA over MBP.... but there is still quite a market there who needs decent performance with great looking notebook, WHICH MBA certainly delivers. I still live in a country where internet access is really not as fast, so I DO NEED optical drive for watching movies. But yes... besides that and occasional data from client Optical Drive on my notebook is hardly used. So no optical drive is still a mixed bag of emotions for me.

Apple TV, finally gets what makes it worthy. It's great to make it independent of computer to get the content. Plus, Apple certainly learned couple of lines from MSFT books about free software update for previous Apple TV owners (MSFT made new zune's software available of old zune owners, for those who don't know). Which IMHO is a good move to breath some life in apple tv.

Time Capsule is really a good product to go with Time Machine... wireless backing and all, but I would have loved to see apple enabling wireless feature with any other wireless NAS product. Anyway, this product might not be ultra essential.. but it's promising for those who need it.

Overall, it wasn't as a big keynote as Intel transition announcement or iPhone announcement.. but it was definitely not that disappointing. It was just another macworld keynote with usual product announcement. Those who expected something bigger than iPhone was coming, well.... they expected a bit too much.

WHY COULDN'T I FIND THE LIVE KEYNOTE LINK ON APPLE.COM?

As the last bell rang today, I rushed down to the ROTC room to watch it on my lappy....and it was nowhere to be found! :'(

It really got me mad...

No problem :D

Yeah, can someone link me to the keynote pleaseeeee?

thanks

Mono speakers :( why why why.

I lied and said I was going to the bathroom to go to the library and check the Engadget updates.

Anyways, as nice as this thing is, its too thin for me; I don't think it'll handle the abuse.

Mono speakers why why why.

Agreed. That sucks.

But.....thats why they have external speakers and headphones ;). Heck, None of my lappys use their speakers (unless they are mobile, of course)

It look awesome but I really prefer the old glossy macbooks... they had a more Apple look to them...

What's happening to Apple? No aqua, no glossy scrollbars, no glossy efects on macbooks, obsesive thoughts over thinness... damn, this sucks.

although I'd like to buy one anyways :P

Apple is getting non-Apple.

The good thing is now you can mail notebooks to your friends (in manila envelopes). Just don't forget to attach a "Fragile" label to the envelope ;)

The good thing is now you can mail notebooks to your friends (in manila envelopes). Just don't forget to attach a "Fragile" label to the envelope ;)

I thought that was clever.

I dont think so at all.

When the iMac first came out, it abandoned the floppy disk drive and embraced USB. At the time it was criticised.

The new Macbook Air is a bold and brave new direction- it lacks a dvd drive and embraces flash based memory instead of a hard drive.

so? Whats that supposed to mean?... It means a greater dependence on the internet and localised storage instead of clunky dvds and hard disks.

Imagine downloading all your favourite software, movies and music instead of going to a store. Thats the idea.

Not only that, but flash is faster to boot off than a hard drive, (or to read off a dvd for that matter) meaning you just open the laptop and its there. Mobile freedom has never been so ... free.

It'll be perfect for travellers and business people who need to do the essentials (cart around and create documents, or open/store vacation photos) but who dont have the space for a big laptop.

Who agrees that this is going to revolutionise the laptop/notebook as we know it?

Who agrees that this is going to revolutionise the laptop/notebook as we know it?

I do. I think that they are starting something, like the iPhone forced th operators to have illimited data plans (even if they don't sell the iPhone, illimited 3G rocks) and they just wrote a record, you never saw a notebook that thin with an 13" screen.

This is like the EEE PC, but EEE PC is cheap but small in capacity and screen, MacBook Air completes it, and it's a Mac.

I don't think that this keynote was disappointing (even if I was waiting for the "One more thing"), Apple like it did in the past shows that technologies are changing and if we want something different, we must ditch old ones (an optical drive is so big ...) or we will be stuck.

I do want one for the look but I will never get the money :P

If optical drives will be replaced with flash memories then they should get rid of bluray disks and other optical drives too which are under development right now...This is not the right moment to throw away the optical drives..

Levi makes a good point here.

Anyway the bluray disks stuff I think it's main target is for high definition media, however Apple seems to point to media selling through Internet (iTunes stores, etc...).

Matonga:

I have the same feeling. that looks anything but not apple. It looks more like Dell or Asus but not Apple. OMG

only 5h battery life ... shitty

Just did a little bit of research. That seems to be on the low end of average. However, Apple's tests kept Wi Fi turned on (not sure about Bluetooth), whereas these other manufacturer's turned their Wi Fi off.

And if anybody starts complaining about the lack of an optical drive, or of ethernet jacks, I'd stop if I were you. The rumour mill said that these items would be absent, and I didn't hear anyone complaining.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0