Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Resizing Icons in Folder

8 posts in this topic

Been searching through the forum for information on resizing icons in folders(to make them bigger), but have had little luck even though a few people have brought up the question. Some mention of TweakUI (but when I installed it I can't find it anywhere on my comp. not in control panel or applications), and also some mention of a shell32.dll (or something like that) which I have no clue on how to edit.

If someone could give me some information on how to make the icons bigger it would be much appreciated. Also, is there a way to use .png's for icons in XP? When I change them with photoshop(i have a plugin), they come out not looking so great.

Anyways, any advice would be awesome!

open Display Properties-Appearance tab-Advance button. under Item, select Icon. you can then select size in pixels. windows default is 32. make yours 48. This setting will affect both icons in the desktop as well as those in the folder windows. Take note that you can also increase the font size of the icon labels. Default size is 8. Try making yours 9 and see. Then OK-Apply-Close. if you like the results, open Display Properties-Themes tab-Save as....

You should find TweakUI under x:WindowsSystem32. if not there, re-install. But easier to go to Start Menu-Run.., tweakui

you cannot use PNGs as XP system icons. If you are up to it, you can convert your PNGs to .ico format and edit shell32.dll with reshacker. whew! messy...

btw, are you running FlyaKite? it's free rather than shelling a few extra bucks for Stardock's IconPackager...

@kinsemon

you can also use IconTweaker to change your icons, and its free

@gocountry

by resizing the icon in the folder do you mean the actual folder or the preview images INSIDE the folder?

Hey Kinsemon,

thanks for the quick response. I tried changing the size of the icons in the display properties, but it only changed the size on my desktop, not in my folders. However thanks for the info on the fonts and how to get to tweakUI, much appreciated.

And what is the purpose of editing the shell32.dll? If I change a .png to .ico will i not work as a folder icon?

Going to give tweakui a shot!,

and to SG-A310, yes i mean the preview images of the folder INSIDE the folder. (as in the My Documents, the "My Picutres, My Music" etc files are larger)

Thanks again

windows recognizes only .ico files for its system. shell32.dll contains all the icons (in .ico format) for system files, repeat - for windows SYSTEM files.

if you have a favorite file or program that you want the icons changed, select an image file (.png, etc) and convert it to .ico format so that windows will recognize it and show it on your folders, desktop, etc.

there are a lot of apps that can convert images to .ico format, free, shareware, trialware, etc.

SG said, IconTweaker. I use IcoFX...

awesome, works fine kinsemon,

but the file folders within my folders are still the same size, they won't go any bigger, so the icons I change them to look small. Any way to fix this? And by file folders I mean like the "My Music" Icon within my documents.

Thanks

Haven't you tried clicking VIEW on your menubar or topbar (if you're using objectbar) and selecting 'thumbnails' or 'icons'?