Here are some things I do to keep my computers in nice health, and have performance optimized.
- Defragment your hard drive Regularly. This helps things running smoothly and fast. It also clears up space, and organizes files on your hard drive. (Notice difference that the pathnames and directories are not affected.)
- Disk Cleanup regularly. This frees up a lot of space. Doing this once a week could help your PC run faster and easier, and clearing up your PC's sinuses as it does so.
- Have a good AV piece of software. I personally recommend avast! AntiVirus. Having a good AntiVirus program helps keep your PC protected and secured. Also remember, that common sense on the internet helps.
- Keep junk programs to a minimum. You know what this is, keeping those ugly ads, Toolbars-for-
, offers, and programs you don't use off your computer. This helps your PC run fast and smooth, also freeing up unnecessarily used space, and keeps your registry clean as well.
- Keep start-up items to a low. Keep things that aren't absolutely needed out of the startup folder, or things that you can just run after bootup when the computer has had a chance to get a steady breath going. Having a lot of startup items has proven to slow down a computer tremendously, and even have the machine come to a screeching halt when it comes time to press the power button.
- Background programs. Having loads of things running in the background (ex, things in your taskbar) or having things run idle seriously robs your system of resources and your processor's speed. Keep these things low. Done using an app? Exit, don't let it run in the background. A common example is LimeWire. When done using it, exit. It helps.
- Stay up to date. Yes we know that one of Windows' many infamies are the Updates put out for it by Microsoft. But remember that they are there for a reason. Keep up to date to get the most secure and optimum performance out of your PC.