Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why are Macs so pricey?

50 posts in this topic

Ok, heres the deal.

I'm dieing for a MacBook. OK. Yea, so what wrong?

I'm 14 and I'm gonna be working soon. Now, I have this question.

Why are Macs so expensive? Ok, look. There are actually PC's and PC Laptops cheaper than all the Mac Stuff. I'm really starting to hate this PC I got, so I want a MacBook, but look. It's $1099. Some Dells and other brands are actually $300 less in some places, with almost same specs.

If somebody could shed some light on this, it'd be great! I'm just very curious.

Macs are higher quality and have Mac OS X which is superior to Windows.

well when u look at it...they are the same in preformance...u can find a PC with the same specs of a mac or powerbook...

It's just the matter of style and doing this on ur computer...

MacOS is in my opinion way betr than windows...

And the price,hmm maybe because u can't change the parts...u know ram,hdd,graphic cards...mother-boards...

So that's y PC's are cheaper...so u can spend on the parts...

:D

Macs are higher quality and have Mac OS X which is superior to Windows.

exactly, as Vista does it's best to copy features that have been on the Macs for years, Mac OS X simply offers a technology years ahead... besides, the interface is nicer, and Apple does it's own computers, not like Microsoft that Sony or Gateway, etc do them for them. That's why I also think they're more expensive, I mean, imagine that Mac OS X were in Samsung, Sony, Gateway, Compaq laptops... they would be cheaper! XO

they aren't. you get what you pay for, which is a combination of great hardware and flawless software.

Its NOT the quality. Apples hardware is no better than what you would get from HP, Dell, Sony, ect..

The operating system is better but it alone sells for what Vista sells for.

What Apple is selling and marketting is the Apple experience as a whole. There computers don't cost any more to build than there PC counterpart. What they are preaching is this all encompasing warm fuzzy fealing you get when you buy a Mac. But trust me, there are allot of people that loose that warn feeling very quickly. What Apple is offerign is a packaged deal, hardware, OS, and apps all together that is designed to work together right out of the box. The PC word had yet to get this idea totaly threw their collective heads.

One case in point as to hardware, take Apples flat panel monitors. everyone oohs anad ahs over them. But have you seen the prices. $900 US dollars for a 20' monitor that is beat out in every way by a $250 dollar 20" Samsung monitor just goes to prove the point. You don't always get what you pay for. there is no reason that Apples flat panel monitors shu;d be this pricey when all the other flat panel monitor makers can put out a better product for nearly 1/4 the price.

thats my 2cents

Impulseman you wise man been around since 2002 nice ;) . That will hopefully be me :) only a few months in on this great forum :). I am very glad you put it out like that and i totally agree with you on this topic well said and well put fantastic couldnt of said it any better.

You are paying for Steve Jobs fancy keynotes, the apple logo, and most importantly into that super cool exclusive club of smug mac users. I cannot help but agree that apple is a collective bunch of incredibly smart money munchers, but really there computers hardware wise are usually a few months behind what you can find with pc's and you have very little choice on hardware. But all of that also equates to why the machines are more user friendly there is no variety of vendor or builder you have a pretty closed system and that is how it is going to stay, you have very few hardware incompatibilities because there is almost no such thing as a third party, which drives up the cost like mad.

Bottom line no competition=more expensive.

Well... the Mac mini's are good value for money IMO. Haven't looked back since I got mine. Ahh, fuzzy and warm.

Don't complain, guys... here in Mexico i just seen the new iMacs... the cheaper is around $2100!

Well, yea, I see where you're all going.

I just can't wait to get my MacBook. It's gonna be awesome!

...Apple does it's own computers, not like Microsoft that Sony or Gateway, etc do them for them...

Last time I checked Asus were responsible for building Apple's computers, and Sony's as well.

I guess what you're hinting at is the benefit of designing your OS based on a very limited range of hardware.

Current Apple hardware is "re branded and re packaged" off the shelf hardware.

Back before the switch to Intel chips, most of the components were made to order.

Today, that's just not the case.

Apple monitors have always been a re packaged tube or flat screen placed into a pretty case.

The current LCD's are either Samsung or Phillips/LG panels wrapped in a pretty case.

You can buy the EXACT spec LCD for less than half of Apple's price if you could live without the Apple logo.

In Apple's case, you don't get what you pay for.. you pay for the hype.

Saying th OS is superior is a complete load of crap. That is pure OPINION, not fact.

Fancy exterior packaging does not equal quality.

I've had more than my share of the much spooged over Apple hardware, fail on me.

It is what it is... Made in Taiwan, China or(insert Asian country with a cheap labor pool) mass produced crap just like Dell, Sony, Gateway, HP, etc.

Its NOT the quality. Apples hardware is no better than what you would get from HP, Dell, Sony, ect..

PowerPC Macs were different and right now some people just say that Intel Macs are PCs running Mac OS X. I think it's not true and I think Intel Macs are just as unique as PowerPC Macs. An Intel Mac is still a Mac.

One case in point as to hardware, take Apples flat panel monitors. everyone oohs anad ahs over them. But have you seen the prices. $900 US dollars for a 20' monitor that is beat out in every way by a $250 dollar 20" Samsung monitor just goes to prove the point. You don't always get what you pay for. there is no reason that Apples flat panel monitors shu;d be this pricey when all the other flat panel monitor makers can put out a better product for nearly 1/4 the price.

personally i wouldn't mind paying $900 for a 20 foot monitor...

as far as i see it, Windows is the Toyota of the computing world, Apple is the Mercedes..and i don't know about linux because nobody makes cars for free...its a bike?

Linux would be the Hummer you won at the Lottery. Free, robust, fast and untouchable, but not that easy to handle for someone who doesn't know how (yet)... :)

Current Apple hardware is "re branded and re packaged" off the shelf hardware.

Back before the switch to Intel chips, most of the components were made to order.

Today, that's just not the case.

Apple monitors have always been a re packaged tube or flat screen placed into a pretty case.

The current LCD's are either Samsung or Phillips/LG panels wrapped in a pretty case.

You can buy the EXACT spec LCD for less than half of Apple's price if you could live without the Apple logo.

In Apple's case, you don't get what you pay for.. you pay for the hype.

Saying th OS is superior is a complete load of crap. That is pure OPINION, not fact.

Fancy exterior packaging does not equal quality.

I've had more than my share of the much spooged over Apple hardware, fail on me.

It is what it is... Made in Taiwan, China or(insert Asian country with a cheap labor pool) mass produced crap just like Dell, Sony, Gateway, HP, etc.

?!!

I'll tell you one thing... at least I don't have to wait over four hours every Friday night to let NAV do it's thing... because I couldn't do Jack on the pc while it was... Oh yeah! and Lavasoft and the other one and...

ew its like this board turns every thread into a Apple vs. PC brawl. Stop! its all just usless opinions!

Macs are pricy because of marketing thats it.

?!!

I'll tell you one thing... at least I don't have to wait over four hours every Friday night to let NAV do it's thing... because I couldn't do Jack on the pc while it was... Oh yeah! and Lavasoft and the other one and...

Get a real AV program that can do it's job without killing your system. McAfee works perfectly fine and never kills my system... ever.

NAV is the WORST resource hog of all AV programs.. and it sucks.

Don't need the rest. Configure your shit properly and it's a non issue.

And anyway, what does any of that have to do with Apple's hardware costs.

Too many people here drinking Steve's Kool-Aid.

Ra is the worst.

Hint Hint... Apple mother boards are made in China by the same manufacturer as *whisper now* DELL!!!

Apple hasn't actually built a piece of hardware since the early 90's.

Now they just DESIGN it. They sub out the build to the best (cheapest) bidder.

Look at all your precious new Apple hardware. It says "Designed by Apple in Cupertino, Ca."

Not made by Apple.

I remember when Apple hardware was made by Apple in California.

Solid hardware. Todays stuff is just like all the rest. Mass produced, throw away technology.

hahaha. I love these threads, just curious, LG makes the new iMac displays right?

I didn't want this to be a Mac Vs. PC thing guys. I was just wondering why they are expensive.