Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is Apple turning Mac OS X into a space themed OS?

43 posts in this topic

With Leopard's Time Machine, DVD Box Cover (Space design), Spaces application (the name of the application) and "Conquer Time and Spaces" saying it's clear that Apple wants to make Mac OS X more space themed. Do you think that 10.6 and beyond might have a Space GUI (Space Wallpaper, Space Icons, Space everything)? Discuss your view on this.

Apple is the best, I love macs... although I have to admit it is really weird... have you also noticed that all the pictures in the website are from or have to do with mexico? lol

Interesting idea.

But No... most of the stuff you mention is all just promotional material most of which is indirectly linked to time machine.

The promotional material is meant to make leopard look 'futuristic'... Its stuff to get you excited about whats to come.

But leopard itself isnt really themed like that. I mean look at the default desktop pic- its blades of grass... and the rest of the theme's colours arent really spacey, are they?

Besides time machine, theres not much other 'space' stuff.

But leopard itself isnt really themed like that. I mean look at the default desktop pic- its blades of grass... and the rest of the theme's colours arent really spacey, are they?

Apple can still change the default wallpaper to "space" one. In fact, I want Mac OS X to look more "space" now.

Here's something on Think Secret that shows more evidence that Apple is making Mac OS X more "space" themed:

Think Secret:

Just days after pushing out build 9A500n as an update to developers who have installed 9A499, Apple has released an entirely new build of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: 9A527.

Sources say Apple has included a new intro movie to Leopard with the build, removing the Spotlight-like movie from 10.4 Tiger and instead providing a sci-fi space theme one. The default desktop picture is also space themed, making Time Machine's roll in Leopard's feature set apparent.

hmmm maybe.

I just wish they'd get rid of that itunes 7 style before final release of leopard!

but its not going to happen, as it already exists in all of iLife 08, and they cant really change that without getting everyone to get an update.

hmmm maybe.

I just wish they'd get rid of that itunes 7 style before final release of leopard!

I wouldn't mind it if they change the scrollbars to Cover Flow (black glossy) scrollbars. I think the Cover Flow scrollbars will look better on Leopard than iTunes 7 scrollbars now (with the space wallpaper the Cover Flow scrollbars will fit the space theme better).

It's not becoming more space themed.

Time Machine, Spaces, and better performance/speed are three pretty big features to the OS, so the promotional material will refelect that.

If you look at tiger stuff (DVD box, Welcome intro, Spotlight) you will realize the trend.

There isn't a theme of darkness, and whatnot.

I also don't get the fuss about "Coverflow scrollbars" they don't look that great. I much prefer Aqua.

eh.. i dunno..

if you see the wallpaper included with the latest 527 build of leopard, it looks like a nebula with stars around.. sounds pretty spacey to me

Strange, I never noticed that. Perhaps they could also use the Windows 98 startup sound to complete the space theme?

If they stretched that sound out just a bit more, that would be genius!

Apple is the best, I love macs... although I have to admit it is really weird... have you also noticed that all the pictures in the website are from or have to do with mexico? lol

What do you mean?

It's clearly moving towards a spacey theme, and I like it. It feels futuristic and modern, something that other operating systems lack.

I dont mind the new background, although its a little too pink.... but it still looks cool.

I just dont like the new leopard look- the close/max/min buttons look too toyish... even aqua looked less toyish and thats saying something.

and as for the buttons found in finder and buttons in general, they look very dull, windows like and boring....

if the edges on them were less 3D and more 2D minimalistic (such as those seen in iPhoto 08 down the bottom LEFT, or in itunes 7 down the bottom left) that would be wicked.

Apple still has time to change the UI to Cover Flow (black gloss everywhere, black glosy scrollbars, change the folder icons to more "Space" themed ones). I think Apple has mixed up iTunes 7 UI with Cover Flow UI, they can't decide which one should be for Leopard, it seems.

Apple still has time to change the UI to Cover Flow (black gloss everywhere, black glosy scrollbars, change the folder icons to more "Space" themed ones). I think Apple has mixed up iTunes 7 UI with Cover Flow UI, they can't decide which one should be for Leopard, it seems.

no its not going to happen (as much as I want it to) iLife 08 is already released, and is to be bundled with leopard.

it just wouldnt happen coz apple doesnt realease the same product with two different looks.

I think both coverflow style and itunes 7 style will be present in leopard- they havent mixed it up, just messed it up. I say this because its in all of the leopard screenies.

Apple is not going to make a "Coverflow" UI.

A set of scrollbars isn't enough to inspire that kind of hope.

no its not going to happen (as much as I want it to) iLife 08 is already released, and is to be bundled with leopard.

1) Where did you hear that iLife '08 is going to be bundled with Leopard? Is this confirmed? I don't think Steve ever said this at any of the keynotes.

2) Anything can change, Levi. It's all just a matter of a simple software update.

I hope that iLife '08 will come with Leopard.

and I hope Leopard will be more "space" like (More space stuff).

I think everyone has realized that.

Mac OS 10.6 might be completely "space".

Mac OS XI might be sea (sea theme) or machine (metal theme).

They should have a version of OS X called Liger.

eeehhh, seems a little too random, but this is probably photoshop'd.

liger.jpg

Ha! LOL

And on topic: Mac OS X is moving slowly to the space theme.

-Time Machine

-The CD

-New Wallpaper.

-Others that may arrive soon

But, Aqua is still missed. ;)

Mac OS XI might be sea (sea theme)

Rumors say that there are no more big Cats anymore....And what you said about sea

really makes sense, cause another rumors+a Video claims that 10.6 will be named "Walrus"(I don't know if that is spelled correctly)