Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Apple Mail or Thunderbird?

11 posts in this topic

Which do you prefer, or suggest?

I was faced with this choice almost a year ago, when I first got the Mac. I chose Apple Mail because part of the reason I bought the Mac was the experience.

I'm wondering what other people's opinions are!

Thanks,

-NC

I don't have a mac (yet), but I think when the time comes, I think I'll migrate to Apple Mail. It's not just the Apple experience. It's the integration with all things around it. Sync with iPhone, address book, safari... the works!

Mind you, I love Tbird, it's a great mail&news app, certainly better than Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail... I know. I tried them all. I'm using Tbird everyday, with all my POP3 and IMAP mail accounts. But it's just not there yet. And I cannot rely on extensions that may or may not work to provide THAT kind of integration.

Thunderbird is the only email app I have used everyday.

I wouldn't suggest anything else.

Untill I get a mac, that is, and switch to Apple Mail.

True, Thunderbird is super-duper (and a horrible memory-hog).

It's actually kinda funny how I've subconsciously bought into Mozilla's "extension"-concept. Everytime I play around with an application I'm going "ooh, maybe there's an extension that would enable me to do that", only to realize the app I'm playing with is not Mozilla.

As for Apple Mail, I'm almost embarrassed to say that I've never played around with it. However, visually, Apple Mail is incredibly aestethically pleasing. Weird thing, though, all the people I know with Macs don't use Apple Mail.

On a completely different note: Was/is Mozilla working on an instant message app, or is my mind playing tricks on me?

I've used both, and they are both good.

However I've stopped using them and use gmail web based system, it just allows me to use 2 less bits of software, plus I'm flirting between a PC, Mac home and work.

If all that makes sense.

Apple Mail works beautifully. It's already there, too. Thunderbird still doesn't feel like a full fledged Mac application. Plus, Mail lets you select multiple inboxes, which is very handy.

I prefer Apple Mail because you can do everything better and in a much more organized way, and it's more classic and of course, it's from Apple!!

Mail.app

Even if you use IMAP - Mail.app is works fine. BTW there are no (!yes, no!) good IMAP client for MacOS.

I try Correo (its yet version 0.2...) - very good. And i hope it reach version 1 ;)

I read about Kiwi - few very good&happy articles + IMAP mail framework... Still no alfa/beta/etc version.

TBird... lack of AddressBook support, out of maccish look, not blazing fast (Mail.app is, believe me - i use it as IMAP client with MS Exchange server and im happy... for 90% ;) )

So my vote for Mail.app. And cross my finger for Leopard version )

I briefly moved from Mail to Thunderbird for a few months, and then migrated back to Mail. It's not that I didn't like Thunderbird, but I just prefered how seamlessly Mail worked with iCal and Address Book. I use iCal everyday, so that was a big reason for my moving back to Mail.