Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

apple.com site design question

17 posts in this topic

hey everyone,

everytime i visite the apple site i am wowed by the beauty of the design. one thing that i especially like is the the top navigation. the way they catogarized there products and allowed the user to scroll through them. another thing i like are the side panels which change there content elgantly on mouse over. my question is: does anyone know how to recreate this in my own personal design?

thanx

PS: apple.com/mac

it shows what i'm talking about

i believe it is mostly javascript written by apple. you cannot just take the code from the apple site. you could possibly email them and get it. i doubt it though. your best bet would probably be to learn javascript. sorry

i have the scripts, but i'm not sure how to code them into the page to work properly

WOAH damn, I didn't notice that Spotlight script till now... looks like well used AJAX and JS to me.

WOAH damn, I didn't notice that Spotlight script till now... looks like well used AJAX and JS to me.

yeah, im surprised how long it took me to find it as well.... but it makes navigation so much better... so much better than using those tabs...

I wonder though whats wrong with the OZ site designers... its like thier still stuck way back in June 2007 man....

http://www.apple.com/au/

Yeah... Spotlight script is awesome ))

But sliding sidebar cards is sexy =)

BTW if anybody can read in Russian - check this: http://dklab.ru/lib/JsHttpRequest/

Or you can simply d/load a sample and make your own spotlight box ;)

Its VERY easy and it works with Safari.

P.S. I'm not affiliated by DKLab ;) I just like their scripts ;)

use babelfish if u cant ;)

Ho ho ;)

I can. And I do it better than read english :D

I'm from Russia.

this is all well and good, and the scripts are cool, but does anyone know how to use them, the ones on the apple site i mean?

There's some crazy coding in that site. I checked out the source and it's a pain, both to code from scratch, or to integrate into your site.

On a sidenote: I hate people who rip off the source code of other sites. It's annoys me to the nth degree. I'd suggest either coding it yourself, or not including it at all. It's stealing if you copy it direct from Apple.

I agree with nicholasheer, about both complexity of apple's coding and ripping codes from websites. :)

About the complexity though, Apple website's coding is actually one the of best structural coding I've seen so far. Once you understand the structure it makes lot of sense. That part does take time though.

i do not plan on ripping them off, i simply would like to understand how it was created, so that i can creat something similar.

The spotlight script isn't complicated at all. Seriously. But the sliding menu things are quite nifty, though a little glitchy sometimes.

I agree with nicholasheer, about both complexity of apple's coding and ripping codes from websites. :)

About the complexity though, Apple website's coding is actually one the of best structural coding I've seen so far. Once you understand the structure it makes lot of sense. That part does take time though.

It's well done, no doubt. But it'd be a b!tch for (me) to re-develop for a personal site.

thanx for the links. moo.fx is almost what i need, but i was wondering if anyone knew how to activate its effect on mouse over, rather than on mouse press?