Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

McBar contains spyware

14 posts in this topic

In the form of infosteal.dll, im guessing its some kind of keylogger, so id stay well away from this.

Thanks. I think the Administration should make a note of this. It's a good thin I've never used it XD

I think it's too obvious to be a keylogger :P. Plus, i googled it, no results.

Could you actually post the detailed explanation result from your actual scan. Most likely you have a false positive.

I'm almost positive there is not keylogger or spyware within McBar.

Second, since this is your first post perhaps you could have contacted the actual developer about this via a pm since he's a long time member plus a good developer.

This issue has been brought up all throughout the original application development thread. There is no infosteal.dll included in the package though, so I don't know WTF you're talking about.

Yes, most antiviruses treat mcbrhook.dll as a trojan. But it is NOT a trojan. For those who doesn't believe me still, I can provide a source code - compile it by yourself, you'll get the same thing.

Thу main reason why AVs treat hook as a virus may be similarity of my hook to recent trojans, which hook the creation of new windows, find their executable module path and do something to window (in some cases the same hooks CLOSE the AV windows or the TaskMan).

I repeat, hook DLL was packed into the distributive right after compilation without any postprocessing (packing, stripping, obfuscating etc). It contains no viruses.

1 character limit

can someone rename it or something because i hate avg pop-ups.

renaming it wouldn't do anything, the code it uses will always be detected an an Virus (intruder for Kaspersky)

RIMMER is old known good guy who tell us about this "problem"

I believe RIMMER. He is "trusted source" for me.

If you want - i can setup Boot Camp partition and check it with latest Norton AV Corporate...

I suppose the easiest way to find out whether it contains a keylogger or not is to download on of anti-keyloggers(well..the one, that have a free trial:) ) from here www.anti-keylogger.org(as these anti-keyloggers are most popular) and run a scan. :)