Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lightweight app that opens .doc files

11 posts in this topic

I'm using NeoOffice until Windows Office goes Intel, but it takes a long time to open up (I'm assuming that will change once I get more RAM, but still...)

Anyone know of a tiny app that can open and edit (and save) .doc files fairly well? I suppose by tiny, I really mean an application that will open up quickly.

Thanks!

-NC

P.S: Now that I look at it, TextEdit isn't half-bad. Are there any others?

Hahaha... ha... aaah. I have no clue. >_<

I just use Office. It loads quick enough and is so feature rich, I don't have to worry about other stuff. Plus, I'm just now getting into EndnoteX for research papers. My text editor of choice is TextMate.

Ah, sorry, I should have made this clear--it needs to be freeware. Pages might be quick, but I haven't shelled out the money for iWork (and the same goes for Office--otherwise, it probably would be snappy).

Thanks for your suggestions, guys! :)

-NC

though it is based more toward web design etc smultron is ok and free... i guess that is what ytou are looking for if you said textedit was somewhat something you look for :>

I didn't even know you went mac...

How about OpenOffice, there's an osx port.

I must say TextEdit looks pretty good for smallish .docs.

I didn't even know you went mac...

How about OpenOffice, there's an osx port.

Yep, nearly a month ago by now! NeoOffice is similar to OpenOffice--I assume they're both large enough to take a sufficiently long time to load.

I must say TextEdit looks pretty good for smallish .docs.

Yeah, I hadn't tried it for opening .doc files because I assumed it was like WordPad (for Windows)--a bunch of garbled symbols. I tried it at about the same time I created this thread, and it really works excellently! Bold, italics, etc.--I tried opening a file that already had columns, and those opened fine. It just couldn't save back to columns, but I still think that's pretty impressive.

I have a feeling I'll be sticking with TextEdit :).

Thanks everyone,

-NC

Hm, looks like someone already suggested TextEdit. But yeah, it can open and [i think] export to .doc.