Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AveDesk 1.3 Bug report thread

193 posts in this topic

Bug description: When i use ShowCase, Miranda's pop-up plugin no longer pops up anymore.

Items involved: Avedesk 1.3 & AveScripter

This only occurs if showcase has been activated.

Windows Version: Windows XP Home SP2

DirectX version: 9.0c

System specs: Check My Sig.

Graphics card & drivers version: Nvidia 6800 Ultra with 82.10 drivers

Desklets running: Pidshortcut x 2, Weather widget by PCM.

Steps to reproduce:

1. With miranda running already, startup AveDesk

2. Press shortcut key (F8) to bring up Showcase

3. Press shortcut key again to return to desktop.

4. The Pop ups should no longer work in Miranda anymore unless AveDesk is closed and restarted. (Tested through Miranda Options>Pop Ups>Preview)

g description: Ave desk closes every hour or so

Items involved: Avedesk

Have the same error as you.

Update:- I've managed to narrow down the problem of AveDesk closing down every 1/2 an hour or so due to the News Ticker / Rss Feed widget that come with AveScripter. (Tested by playing around with no widgets and gradually adding one and replacing it every 1/2 an hour or so).

Hope this is enough info, Cheers!

Bug description: Extended unicode characters show up as boxes/question marks in interface/sublabels

Items involved: AveDesk & PIDL Shortcut

Windows Version: Windows 2000 SP4 Japanese

DirectX version: Direct X 9.0c

System specs:SMP PII (2x300MHz), 256 MB of RAM

Graphics card & drivers version: ATI Dual-output Radeon 7000 64MB, latest

Desklets running: PIDL shortcut (for sublabels), any for other problems

Steps to reproduce:

Part 1) Enter extended unicode characters (e.g. Japanese) into mainlabel, save and look at control panel... You'll see boxes instead of characters. (Desklet displays proper characters)

Part 2) Enter extended unicode characters (e.g. Japanese) into sublabel of PIDL Shortcut, save and look at desklet... you'll see question marks.

Special notes: Should be easy to fix. Recompile PIDL Shortcut with the unicode flag set to fix #2. To fix #1, allow the system to automatically set a unicode font (MS Gothic) when unicode chars are detected, or implement detection yourself.

Sample Japanese text for testing (requires MS Gothic or MS Mincho to be installed):

音楽 --> Music

壁紙 --> Wallpapers

屑入れ --> Wastebasket

ビデオ --> Videos

プレーヤー --> Media Player

今日は。私はマリノ ニックです。17歳です。高校2年生です。日本語があんまりできません、けど。

^_^

--Nick

Bug description: Weather and D-Weather desklets both lose their location once the system is rebooted or the current user logs out.

Items involved: AVEDesk 1.3, Weather (that came with AVEDesk), and D-Weather

Windows Version: XP Home SP-2

System specs: 2Ghz Pentium M notebook, 512MB PC2100 RAM

Graphics card & drivers version: NVidia 420Go w/32MB RAM v6.13 Nvidia drivers

Desklets running: Calendar II, Calculator, D-Weather, StickyNotes, Virtual Console

Steps to reproduce: Run AVEdesk, Weather or D-Weather, enter a location, log off, log on and watch as the desklet says "hey, where's the location?" and just sits there without loading any weather.

Special notes: To install AVEdesk I simply copied it into c:program filesavedesk13 and run the avedesk.exe file from the startup menu. Installing desklets via doubleclicking them after downloading them. Perhaps incorrectly installed AVEdesk which would explain why SearchBar doens't work either (another problem).

HBT: HAve you tried manually saving your theme once from the Control Panel? I've been running D-weather a long time and have had no problem with the location disappearing. What version of Avescripter are you running?

Also you might want to check if you have AutoSave on for avedesk.

I have noticed quite a bit that when something is deleted to the pidl shortcut (recycle bin) that it doesn't update to the trash bin full icon, it just shows that it is still empty. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to fix this?

Bug description: Clicking on pidlshortcut to My Network places after removing CD Rom from drive results in a window asking for you to replace the CD into the CD Rom drive.

Items involved: pidlshortcut of My Network places, cd rom, cd disk

Windows Version: XP Professional

System specs: P3.2 with HT

Graphics card & drivers version: Quadro NVS with 81.98 drivers

Desklets running: pidlshortcut for several locations, rss feed window from avescripter, d-weather, winamp artwork with reflection from ave

Steps to reproduce: insert cd into computer, remove cd, click on my network pidlshortcurt

Special notes: The error message box that pops up has the following text:

AveCloseButton: AveDesk.exe - NoDisk

There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive D:.

Cancel Try Again Continue

Clicking continue or cancel makes the My Network window open fine. Clicking Try Again results in the error window opening again.

Bug description: Shutdown of PC causes Avedesk to throw an error

Items involved: AVEDesk 1.3, Avescripter and D-Weather

Windows Version: XP Home SP-2

System specs: 2.8Ghz Pentium HT, 1G RAM

Graphics card & drivers version: ATI 9600 AIW

Desklets running: D-Weather, StickyNotes, PIDL

Steps to reproduce: AVEdesk is in startup folder, everything works fine. Shut down computer, dialog box appears saying a program called "A Docklet" didn't end with the progress bar waiting for it to end. At the same time an error dialog pops up saying that a program couldn't start because the machine is shutting down...it's trying to start DRWATSON.EXE. Then I get the error "bong" noise and the boxes will go away and the machine will shut down. If I manually close Avedesk first (using the systray icon), it closes normally, then the machine shuts down fine. I had this error with Avedesk 1.2 also.

Bug description: when avedesk is running i have a major slow down in windows and its very noticable while dragging windows, right clicking on the desktop > refresh.. it hangs a sec then do the refresh..

Items involved: PIDL shortcuts

Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP2

System specs: Pentium 4 2.80ghz, 512mb of RAM

Graphics card & drivers version: Ati SAPPHIRE Radeon 9250 with 256mb of RAM, Catalyst 6.1

Desklets running: 5 PIDL shortcuts

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a 5 PIDL shortcuts

2. Drag/move any program window rapidly

3. Right click on windows desktop > refresh

Special Notes:when removing all the 5 PIDL shortcuts and leaving AveDesk running all the major slowdown is gone.

Bug description: Division by zero error when starting after a reboot/log off-on

Items involved: PIDL shortcuts

Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP2

System specs: Pentium 4 2.60HT, 1.5Gb of RAM

Graphics card & drivers version: Nvidia 5900Ultra, 128Mb, ForceWare 81.98

Desklets running: 10 PIDL shortcuts

Steps to reproduce:

Set to slide effect. Horizontal = 50, Vertical = 0. Shortcut works fine until I log off and back on then I get division by zero errors when you move to an icon. It doesn't happen on every desklet everytime. Seems to be random. AveDesk also crashed 2 times when launching after reboot. Setting the vertical = 1 and last reboot followed by a log off and on were fine. I also have the Label only showing on hover, I did not check to see if it had any effect.

I'm using 1.2 version of the Avedesk because I got problem with dissapearing icons with Folder desklet im 1.3. Is there an updated Folder desklet for 1.3 or it is same as in 1.2 ? Thanks.

I'm using 1.2 version of the Avedesk because I got problem with dissapearing icons with Folder desklet im 1.3. Is there an updated Folder desklet for 1.3 or it is same as in 1.2 ? Thanks.

You should be using the PIDL shortcut desklet instead of the older folder desklet with 1.3.

You should be using the PIDL shortcut desklet instead of the older folder desklet with 1.3.

Ok thanks for reply , gonna try it.

I have noticed quite a bit that when something is deleted to the pidl shortcut (recycle bin) that it doesn't update to the trash bin full icon, it just shows that it is still empty. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to fix this?

Hi.

I too have this problem. And sometimes the desklet doesn´t load at all.

Bug description: Showcase becomes incredibly slow to come into focus

Items involved: Showcase

Relevant settings: Animation Smoothness set quite low, about 5% of the slider.

Windows Version: Windows XP Home SP2

Graphics card & drivers version: ATI Radeon 9600 128mb, Omega Drivers v3.8.205

Desklets running in showcase: Sticky Notes

Steps to reproduce: Not sure, just happens after a period of time, usually after heavy RAM usage eg photoshop open. Also seems to happen after Firefox is opened.

Temp Fix: Restart Avedesk and the problem seems to go away. i.e. Showcase becomes smooth and fast again.

Any ideas?

Bug description: Avedesk shutsdown when loaded on two win users at the same time.

Items involved: avedesk 1.3

Windows Version: winxp sp2

DirectX version:9.0c

System specs:axp3000, 1gig ram

Graphics card & drivers version: Radeon9600 128mb latest catalyst(6.2?)

Desklets running:2 Pidl shorcuts, Avescripter Calender, Avescript Weather

Steps to reproduce:Load avedesk on one user press Win+L and login with 2nd user start avedesk and the avedesk that you were trying to load on the second user will just shut down. no messages no errors just terminates.

I tried to search through all the bug reports but i didn't see it. Sorry if its a double post.

Also This was done with a clean install of avedesk as i just formated my comp last weekend.

I run avedesk on two user-accounts simultaneously all the time, have had no problems here.

I run avedesk on two user-accounts simultaneously all the time, have had no problems here.

dang thats weird i wonder why it terminates on mine.

is there any extra setting that needs to be set for this?

is there a way to figure out why its doing this?

-Edit-

I was able to fix the problem I think.

I since the avedesk that was already on my comp wasn't working i extracted a fresh version started it up let it do its intro thing

closed out avedesk and started the one that i installed in program files and now it works fine.

Bug description: AveDesk crashes during the intro (when saying something about a tutorial in the header (4th step))

Items involved: ---

Windows Version: Windows 2000

DirectX version: 9.0b

System specs: Athlon TB 1,2Ghz; 512MB RAM

Graphics card & drivers version: Geforce 4ti; latest nVidia

Desklets running: ---

Steps to reproduce: Start AveDesk

Special notes: Error message reads: Microsoft C++ Runtime Libary (header); Runtime Error; Abnomal program termination

Avedesk disappears/doesn't start up (not in task manager) when returning from Hibernate.

(System specs as in earlier post if needed)

Bug description:

I've got a similar problem as Zaft. When I start my Avedesk, it is taking 90-100% of the CPU and after circa 5 minutes, it disappears out of the Task Manager. I tried to run it with a new Avedesk Installation (so just starting the standard-desklets automatically), but it didn't help.

Items involved: Avedesk 1.3

Windows Version: Windows XP service Pack 2

System specs: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ ~2,2 GHz, 1024MB RAM

Graphics card & drivers version:NVIDIA GeForce 6600 128MB RAM, Driver 8.1.9.8

Desklets running: the standard ones. Sorry, I don't know which they are, I can't check it...

Steps to reproduce: Start Avedesk.

Special notes: When I start dxdiag, the program will crash after checking. When I open it again, it asks me if I wanted to start it without DirectShow, then it works. Maybe this could be the problem, but I have no idea how to fix this. Konfabulator works nevertheless...

Edit:

It seems that my PC was a bit... wrecked. Fixed with reinstalling the OS.

Ok thanks for reply , gonna try it.

So finally, I've installed 1.3, and I got some questions :

1st:

I'm using PidlShortcut desklet for the folder shortcut but i can't manage to make it showing "Total Number of Directories" and "Total Number of Files" it shows nothing or number that isn't correct than I post %s, %n, %t, %f etc.. ?! ( if the path is for Drive folder it show s "Total Size" and "Total Free Size" )

2nd:

In Properties of Desklet, in Shorcut Tab, the Path Browse button doesn't work I type manually the path and a question about syntax here too, i write file:///Drive:/Folder and it works but Drive:/Folder don't is this only at my side or it should work only like this file:///Drive:/Folder ?

3rd:

How to change the language of Avedesk ?

i just downloaded avedesk, i have used it before, but i wanted to use it again.

But I get this error when i start avedesk 1.3:

untitled27ek.jpg

the icon spins in the systray, then i get this error then it exits, what the hell is goin on??

can some help me??

I don't believe AveDesk needs .NET, but do you have it installed?

[Edit: Actually, never mind, I remember running it before I had .NET. Do you have MSXML installed?]

-NC

I installed it, but still getting the same error :S

i don't know what this could be, i have used avedesk before and it worked fine!