Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

[development] FlyakiteOSX v3.0

478 posts in this topic

Hmm... where to start. It's been quite awhile since I've last posted here, and there's a lot to talk about. Please read this entire thread before posting. (Yes I know it's long, but it won't kill you to read it)

[What Happened to http://osx.portraitofakite.com?]

I guess, first off for those of you wondering, yes my site still exists. No it was not shut down by Apple or anyone else. My domain name simply had expired. I am currently in the process of renewing the domain and transfering it to a different registrar. I am also switching hosting providers. My last host was starting to give me major problems; the server's services were often failing and the site was becoming very slow. The good news is that I have found a new host, and it seems to be much more reliable and a bit faster. Hopefully the site will be back up by the end of next week.

[Development Status of Version 3.0]

This is what most people are curious about. Development of version 3.0 is scheduled to start in the next week or so. There hasn't been any work on a new version over the summer due to the fact that my part-time summer job keeps me away from home most of the time, and with my portable computer being an iBook, I cannot work on system files while I am on the road.

Before I talk about plans for the new version, I'll talk about the proposed release timeframe. There is no definite date, however my plans are for a Christmas release (for those of you that don't celebrate this holiday, it's December 25th). Why so late? A couple of reason: 1) Since I don't have a lot of free time, updates to this software are not as frequent as they previously were. Because of this, I want to spend as much time as possible perfecting this next version, so that hopefully an update won't be required for awhile. This means LOTS of testing. 2) I would also like to update the site, and I don't want to release the software until that is done as well. 3) This will give me about 3 months for development, which gives me the freedom to tweak and perfect without being rushed to get the product out.

[What's Planned for Version 3.0]

Version 3.0 is going to be mostly redesigned from the ground up. This means rebuilding a good portion of the installer code. I want the installer to be as user friendly as possible, as fool proof as possible, and as stable as possible, but still allowing power users to control anything and everything they want.

1) FILES - I plan on adding a lot more files. While FlyakiteOSX includes a LOT of files, there are still a lot more to be added. Items such as the Open/Save As dialog toolbar will hopefully make an appearance in this release as well. Icons will all be updated to their Tiger versions as well.

2) SKINS - The skins in v2.0 aren't as great as they could be, and everyone is well aware of the MSN Messenger 7.0 skin problems. All skins will be updated to their newest versions, and many will be phased out in favor of better looking ones.

3) APPS - All applications will be updated to their newest versions. Some may be replaced or removed altogether.

[What's NOT Planned for Version 3.0]

1) PANTHER - All Panther related skins and items will be removed. Version 3.0 will be geared towards Tiger only.

2) x64 - Unfortunately, there will be NO support for 64-bit Windows. The current method of system file modification uses ResHacker, which cannot modify 64-bit files. To my knowledge, there is no application that can easily modify 64-bit files yet. (If there is, please contact me)

3) MULTIPLE SKINS - People love choice, there's no denying this. However, it is just not feasible for me to add multiple skins for each application. It greatly increases the size of the installer, and I try as hard as possible to keep it at a reasonable size. This means that there will only be one Tiger skin (WB and VS versions included if available). I will try my best to include the best or most popular skin for each application. Even though only one skin for each application will be included, I will however be updating the site to include tutorials and links to other skins (or skin sites).

4) OLDER OS - Support for operating systems before XP will not be offered. Windows 2000 does not support the fancy visual stuff that XP does, and just would look terrible on 2000. Also, even though 99% of the people know this, this pack will not ever work on Windows 98.

[Website Update]

The 3 month timeline for the release of this new version, will hopefully allow me to update the site as well. I plan on recoding major portions of the site to cut down on the size and hopefully allow more features. I also will be updating or completing all of the missing portions of the site. For instance, there have never been any tutorials on the site, even though the link has existed forever. So this December, expect to see these sections completed.

No more forum - While the forum was a request by many people, it was just unnecessary. It uses up a bit of server resources, and I was almost never there. Not to mention someone tried hacking it at one point. The easiest way to get help is to e-mail me directly or post in the Aqua-Soft or OSX-E forums.

[The Cost of Free Development]

People have often wondered why I don't charge for the software. We all love free stuff, and there's nothing better than an application you love and don't have to pay for (ala Konfabulator, Picasa, Google Earth, etc). While I would love to make money off of each person who uses the software, implementing an e-commerce system and a serial number based installer are way more trouble than I have time for.

As an alternative, I am thinking of maybe doing something for people who donate. Maybe offering people who donate say less than $5 something, less than $10 something else, etc. While this may encourage more people to donate, it also allows me to thank those that do donate. (If a system like this is implemented, those that have previously donated will be contacted)

I'm curious as to what everyone's thoughts on this are though. The software will still remain free, but I'm looking for ideas on a donation reward type system. What could I offer? What do people want that they can't find? Access to all of the OS X wallpapers? Access to all of the old versions of Flyakite? Access to be able to download the entire FlyakiteOSX website, non-encrypted (with support, if needed). Access to the source of the installer? (with support, if needed)

[user Input]

Most importantly, what do people want to see in the next version? I'm looking for real, feasible requests. Do not ask for 64bit support. When it is possible, it will be done. If you're looking for a certain control panel icon, specific skin, application, etc. I want to hear it. What would you change in the old version? What bugs need to be fixed? What keeps you from using the software?

Software is no good if it is designed with only the author in mind. I need to know what people want and don't want.

go for it it will be a great x-mas present. you always do great jobs.

a decent opera skin, or even better, modding fugly icons and buttons out of windows native skin, now that would be great.

You know where I stand on this one Chris ;)

Lookin' forward to it dude :P

Thanks a lot Christopher , i really love your software !

I make a little donation for you ;) Keep your good work

cheers

Mod

Pretty cool ... but I don't think you will be rebuilding the old site eh ? I mean that was A LOT of work and it's perfect, maybe some tweaking and so .. right ?

My computer would look terrible without your work.

Thank you so much!

From now on I will WORSHIP you!

Wait, no. From the release of Flyakite 3 and onwards :P

~Wuzzie

Good stuff. I'll happily help out with mirrors, FTP hosting or anything if you want less strain on your servers ;)

I thought Flyakite OSX was the last version you will ever make, to my delight i see this post :D. All i can say is WOW i can't wait and good luck with the development process.

Nice Avatar BTW, you are the mad scientist at work ;)

Yo, just looking forward for this one man. Useing 2.0 right noW!

Great work, Thanks in advance for v3.0

Oweeeeeee... :cool:

just my 50 cents ;)

Pretty cool ... but I don't think you will be rebuilding the old site eh ? I mean that was A LOT of work and it's perfect, maybe some tweaking and so .. right ?

When chris and I made the site we were using freely available scripts from all over the place, then heavily modifying them and then using extra code on top to link them all together, then Chris also used his own code to make them do far more than either of us expected we'd actually be able to do.

I was talking with him last night and he's decided to redo the entire site from scratch pretty much. A heavy rewrite of all the code would take time but since I've been re-looking at the source I can see where he's coming from and it would streamline it a bit to make updating easier and most possibly even make it run faster and smoother.

It's like when we started with my original code, it worked, but we ended up dumping it and starting it from scratch but still using my work as a base idea. And as a result the whole site is fantastic and Chris has done far more with it than I ever would have been able to. I think the only bit of my original code that we kept before collaborating on it together and deciding to use it for his site instead of mine was the Finderbar lol, and even that was heavily rewritten in the end to make it work with everything else.

And Chris - I still maintain that it was you who kept breaking the Spotlight function ;)

Heh heh.

But anyways, PhoeNix_cHRIS - Flyakite has worked miracles in the past and then completely surpassed them. Don't expect him not to be able to do it again ;) He can and he will. :P

Anyone interested in the code for the website can buy it from me at a price of...

ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

Mwahahaha.

Oh flyakite, looks promising. It's a shame that neither you nor I use these! :P

-NC

P.S: Oh, look at me, I hate OS X on my iBook, but I think it's totally awesome on my PC. Woohoo.

Love how its shaping up ! Added to FP and will mirror it once its out ! I've got tons of bandwidth left over ;)

... Hmm, have to tell my brothers about this... We all love your work Chris.

This is going to be so cool! I'm using 2.0 right now without a hitch and I love it, keep up the good work.

Yay!! i'm a flyakite addict! please mr. flyakite, include the Milk theme in the version 3.0 release. i'm dying to have a theme like that. Or you can ask stefanka for his resources of his milk theme systemfiles.

Sorry, but there won't be anything Milk related in this release, or ever. The intent is to get your PC to look like Tiger, and Milk is an entirely different look. Not to mention, I don't have the time for something like that. That would require re-modifying all of the files with new icons, either making a new installer for Milk, or figuring out a way to integrate it into the current installer, which would be hard, and also increase the size of the installer by a LOT.

I will be looking forward to this! Keep up the great work, and good luck whilst working on it and the website :)

"And so dies a dream."

The world is thus. No...Thus have we made the world... thus has flyakite made it.

Milk is gone. Long live Milk!

-NC

Sometimes I worry about you NC......

But then I realize, "Why in the world am I thinking about NC?", so I immediately stop thinking about you, and concentrate on other stuff, like, umm... puppies.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Arf! Bark Bark! Arf!

[Edit: Comments edited to create a PG-13 rating...too much violence and nudity in the previous version.]

-NC