Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

[info] Settling Into Mac Os X

74 posts in this topic

Hi!

Finaly I got my G5 1.6 width 768 MB ram, and now I'm very happy! :)

I sold my PC today :)

The OSX is very beautiful and user friendly, and fast of course.

Ohh and Taha! Thank for the lot of useful tip!

A Question: The Cmd+~ shortcut doesn't work for me, because I have a hungarian layout keyboard.. Any another way to access this shortcut? Or a way to reconfigure my keyboard layout?

Sorry for my bad english, I come from Hungary! :rolleyes:

Whcih keyboard layout do you use, QWERTY or the other one?

For qwerty, I know its cmd+~, I don't know about the other one. :(

By the way, there are two better apps for P2P than Acquisition, mlMac and Poisoned! They kick @ss!

Thanks for the help. My problem is solved, because now i have a english keyboard. :)

Just off the phone with Noriko-san, new 12" iBook, 640Mb is on its way. :big ****ing grin:

With so many recent switchers on these boards, I'd like to see this terrific thread revived and updated.

Thanks!!!

Hey welcome aboard ji, I swear the as team should get commision on all the switchers from this board

I have suggested it before in the comments & suggestions forum. You can sign up to Apples afiliate programme via tradedoubler. That way if you click through to the apple store via A-S, they get a 2.5% commission on whatever you buy.

Hells yes, thanks for the welcome, it should be here in about a week. I ordered over the telephone but will actually pay cash about $1,200 with a bar-code slip at a local 7-11. Japan rocks.

Until recently I've always been content just to skin the living hell out of my Win machines, from '98 (literally) to now. About two months ago I started looking into switching. I blame A-S completely for this drastic change in computing habits. ^^ y

I figure if I don't take to the Mac, Longhorn will be just about ready when I would normally be going in for a new machine anyhow. Change is good, variety is good, life is grand. Looking forward to learning and trying out all kinds of new sh!t.

And hopefully this thread won't die.

iBook came yesterday, so okay, long post, first impressions from a lifelong Windows user (I'm 31 years old and have been using Windows from 3.1). So for me, OSX is a very very strange, however stunningly beautiful new world.

First, the mouse. OSX's default mouse settings are crap for someone coming from Windows. Bizarre super-slow acceleration, I had to dl the MS Intellipoint drivers and now all is well, mostly, but it will take much more getting used to. Sometimes I feel like a Parkinsons patient off his medicine. At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot (yet again), clicking the traffic light widgets sometimes takes TWO clicks to get the job done right, the space between widgets is very real, lol.

Next, the Dock, and Expose. On Windows I didn't use ObjectBar and now dealing without the taskbar is kicking my ass. On this 12" screen, every pixel is prime real estate. Finding open, minimized apps I naturally look to the dock. If you autohide the dock, however, you have to find the app/folder you want down there, which is very inefficient. So I keep the dock on top so I know what's minimized, which sacrifices a lot of screen space when you also take into account the menubar at the top. (WindowShaderX is essential software :) ) I finally understand why Panther has Expose, because without the taskbar it's a pain in the ass finding your open apps/folders/files. Expose is a miracle in this sense, but again, inefficient compared with an always-on-top, thin taskbar.

Office X, as you might know, opens by default in a very small workspace with palletes (like Photoshop) appearing around the window edges. This would be great on a larger screen, but on my 12" jobbie I spent a long time customizing the toolbars in order to maximize screen width to see fonts/documents/presentation/spreadsheets at a reasonably viewable size.

Safari is elegant, but sometimes feels like a beta with only limited functionality. Like it or not, I keep comparing it to Opera 7.2 on Windows.... and it doesn't compare well (for now. Remember these are just first impressions, which naturally will change, hopefully for the better). Nevertheless, it is light-years ahead of IE, lol.

Working with archived files is a completely new experience in OSX, too. As is working without a 'delete' key. There is a 'delete' key on the keyboard, but it has the function of 'backspace'. There is no Windows-style 'delete' key. Or if there is, I haven't found it yet. There is a 'control' key also, which I don't quite understand, maybe because I have a *gasp* two-button mouse and don't need to Ctrl+click. Also the option/alt key versus the command/apple key... is confusing to me. And finally, legacy elements from pre-OSX (e.g. OS 9) are also baffling to an OSX neuubie like me. Do I have to learn OS 9 as well as OSX to become skilled on the Mac?

Don't get the wrong idea, I am 100% out of this world happy to have switched, but the elements you take for granted in Windows are suddenly and sorely missed in OSX. Like Taha said earlier in this post, it will take a few weeks to get comfortable working with OSX, which is natural in any switch, like, for example, getting a new apartment, you miss the water pressure in your old place, but maybe the new neighbors are great, or you have nice light in the evening or whatever. So don't get the idea I'm bashing OSX, I just wanted to share my first 48-hours' virgin switching experience. It is humbling being an utter **** again.

** i'd also like to apologize for talking sh!t about aquarius, as it seems he finally did release a truly kickass (if complicated as hell) Safari skin. (Y) Like 9 pages of posts in under 24 hours, amazing. m(_ _)m

WOW, is that the longest post? /Me hears Stevie ion the Background saying, "no, it isnt" ;)

Congrats on you rnew Baby JiEun, i will help with anything my mac n00bness allows me to, you know where to contact me.

EDIT: Remember i complained about missing opera? and picassa being better than iphoto? and apps not quitting?

It just takes a while, i dont miss any of those things anymore JiEun, i dont feel Safari as an alpha anymore either ;) but i always have Omniweb/Firefox/Camino/Mozilla/IE (oh lord why) to cak me up if im felling left behind on features.

Is this not beautiful?

About the 12'' screen that is the only thing i would have the most trouble with.. i am now on a 19'' so i cant really even imagine what youre going trough... thought about an external crt to connect ti to while at home?

Oh, and JiEun, get yourself over to iChat, apply for a 60 day .mac account, even when it expires you will be entitled to keep on using the @mac.com account to log in to ichat forever ;)

You have to see the bubbles! :lol:

Originally posted by Seph@Mar 3 2004, 10:51 AM

Oh, and JiEun, get yourself over to iChat, apply for a 60 day .mac account, even when it expires you will be entitled to keep on using the @mac.com account to log in to ichat forever ;)

You have to see the bubbles! :lol:

Regular AIM accounts work fine in iChat...

Thanks i found some of these very very usefull but dies theme changer work on mac OS X 10.4.3 ( tiger edition ) ? :confused:

yes theme changer works on tiger

you couldv'e just made a new thread in the mac os forum lol

i liked this OP, thanks for your effort. I got OSx86 working on my Custom Desktop (Core2duo with gigabyte board) version is 10.5.4 and i think thats latest.

For a Linux > Mac switcher, the look and feels is confusing but i hope i get it all working with keyboard shortcuts and hopefully quicksilver lives upto its name :).

I am having wonderful time trying to find apps for getting things done and its fun so far.

i just got a macbook pro and these guides where very helpful, thanks!

this is very nice the post is giving information,its great we can gathered lesson,idea on how to do it.

I love Candybar 3! I just wish there was a decent free alternative.