Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

[info] Settling Into Mac Os X

74 posts in this topic

oh yeah

*sorry * :unsure:

about the x button, do you know if it is possible to change its behaiviour?

what would be cool would be to change what it does on an app by app basis.

unlikely i know, but i'd love that feature

Originally posted by fissyb@May 11 2003, 10:36 PM

oh yeah

*sorry * :unsure:

about the x button, do you know if it is possible to change its behaiviour?

what would be cool would be to change what it does on an app by app basis.

unlikely i know, but i'd love that feature

well, its different for different apps.

For apps like Calculator, it quits the program.

For apps like Photoshop, it just closes the topmost window.

It all depends on whether an app supports sub-windows.

now thats interesting how os x works with those buttons

see i never knew that! you learn somthing new everyday!

-bolero

Originally posted by bolero@May 11 2003, 10:52 PM

now thats interesting how os x works with those buttons

see i never knew that! you learn somthing new everyday!

-bolero

yup :)

I, for one, think its ingenious. I find it very useful. I know I won't accidentally close a program by clicking on the close button. As mentioned on the first page, I can use cmd+Q to quit the entire app, or cmd+W to close the active window. Its useful coz you dont accidentally close windows.

does it mean that you can close a word document, without saving, then double click on word in teh dock to bring up a window with what you've been writing?

if so that is very "cool"

Originally posted by fissyb@May 11 2003, 11:01 PM

does it mean that you can close a word document, without saving, then double click on word in teh dock to bring up a window with what you've been writing?

if so that is very "cool"

hmm.. well thats not exactly how it works.

Let me try to use the Word scenario.

* I'm writing a document and I click the close button {or press cmd+W or select Close Window}. If it is saved, the window will close, but the top menu will still say 'Word' and all the panes will stay show. So now I can go to the File>Recent menu and open the latest document.

* If, however, I QUIT Word {cmd+Q or selecting Quit from menu}, if it is saved, it will quit completely and the Menu title will now say 'Finder', indicating Word has closed.

* If I press cmd+H {or select Hide window} THEN what you say happens :) You don't see Word, but when you click the Word icon in the dock, it returns to the document as it was.

* If I click the mimimize button {or select Minimize}, it minimizes to the dock - DUH!!

So this basically displays the various ways you can quit/close/hide/minimize widows in OS X B)

Originally posted by Taha@May 11 2003, 09:59 PM

I, for one, think its ingenious. I find it very useful. I know I won't accidentally close a program by clicking on the close button. As mentioned on the first page, I can use cmd+Q to quit the entire app, or cmd+W to close the active window. Its useful coz you dont accidentally close windows.

i 99.99999999999% agree with you.......because Q and W are so close to each other (well, right next to each other), ive accidently quit instead of closing a window, and it was only once. i wasnt too pissed off because i think i was just killing time reading some webpages and that was a good sign to find something better to do :lol:

just wondering, if you close/hide all of your windows, how does the finder bar choose which one to display?

could i have word and itunes closed, but use the finder bar to stop the current playing playlist then switch in the finder bar to word and open a recent document?

thanks for all the help :), this is quite boring for you to explain i'm guessing

fissy

Originally posted by fissyb@May 12 2003, 06:53 AM

just wondering, if you close/hide all of your windows, how does the finder bar choose which one to display?

could i have word and itunes closed, but use the finder bar to stop the current playing playlist then switch in the finder bar to word and open a recent document?

thanks for all the help :), this is quite boring for you to explain i'm guessing

fissy

No the Finder bar displays only Finder windows. The iTunes window would show any open iTunes windows.

If you hide an app, the next app that is activated is the one that was opened before it.

Hiding is just like minimizing in Windows. The icon i still in the dock and its running, just like in windows it is in the taskbar. Clicking on it brings up the window, just like in windows.

Lets say you hid Word and iTunes and you're now in Finder. You just do alt+tab and stop when you get iTunes in the menu. That means that iTunes i now the active app. To pause, you can press space bar, ro Control menu>Pause. OR of course, the easiest way is right clicking the dock icon and choosing pause :lol:

ok thanks, like windows then ;)

isn't this a little bit early for you btw?

Originally posted by fissyb@May 12 2003, 07:35 AM

ok thanks, like windows then ;)

isn't this a little bit early for you btw?

hehh.. yeah. Rise'n'shine and Aqua-Soft is the first to greet me in the mawnin :)

well. I switched to an iMac four months ago and I have an important question:

do I need an antivirus? I mean, I know that the risk of being infected is not as high as in a PC, but....

if so, which one would you recommend?

another question: there's no port of eMule for mac, right? is there any other app that can use the eDonkey network? is someone developing eMule for mac or a similar app?

see ya

1) No, you dont need an antivirus. If you absolutely MUST waste your money on one, get Virex.

2) I think there is such an app. Just search google or http://versiontracker.com

There is eDonkey2000 (the origional), that has a OS X version. It installs ads, but by CHOICE, so read the installation and make sure to uncheck them.

NO, OSX is unix based, so theres no fear of a virus, as long as you dont run as "root". Its called Administrator in OSX, right? Whatever.

here's a tip if your machine seems to be slowing down..

Every 1-2 months repair disk permissions. Its a good idea to do this off the boot CD.

Another cool app:

mlMac uses the Fasttrack(Kazaa), Gnutella, BitTorrent and eDonkey protocols for P2P sharing. So all of you who miss Kazaa from Windows, now have an app to do the job on OS X.. :D

Originally posted by Taha@Jun 26 2003, 07:11 PM

here's a tip if your machine seems to be slowing down..

Every 1-2 months repair disk permissions. Its a good idea to do this off the boot CD.

can you explain how we can do that? maybe via Cocktail?

You can repair permissions via cocktail.

Another way to speed up is by deleting the swap files created when the system uses virtual memory (baaad). This bogs down performance greatly. You can do this by clearing the System Cache in Cocktail.

I love Cocktail.. :wub:

Taha, thanks these are all great tips.

Any reason for Virex over Norton AV? just wondering.

Hey Taha (or anyone else that knows the answer)...I have a problem. I just got my iBook and I am still learning my way around it. I got some new mail icons and I changed the default Mail program icon. But now I want to get the old one back. Is there a way to just change it back or do I need to find the default icon again and just replace it again? If I just need to replace the icon, then do you have the icon that you could give me? I can't find the default one anywhere. Thanks. Later.

Fletch

Originally posted by Fletch@Aug 19 2003, 12:08 PM

Hey Taha (or anyone else that knows the answer)...I have a problem. I just got my iBook and I am still learning my way around it. I got some new mail icons and I changed the default Mail program icon. But now I want to get the old one back. Is there a way to just change it back or do I need to find the default icon again and just replace it again? If I just need to replace the icon, then do you have the icon that you could give me? I can't find the default one anywhere. Thanks. Later.

Fletch

1) single-click the mail icon.

2) Press cmd+I

3) single-click the image preview on the top left. It should get a hazy glow.

4) Press delete.

That should take it back to the original icon.

Thank you for your help, i was just on my way back here to make a reply saying i figured it out. But thanks for the quick reply. By the way, besides those apps you recommended on the first page of this topic, are there any other great apps you can recommend? Those first ones were a lifesaver! Before I saw your recommendation of Acquisition I was using Limewire and it SUCKED. Anyways, thanks again. later.

Fletch