Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AveDesk 1.2 Tools Topic

14 posts in this topic

This topic is meant to request, share and give information about Tools.

What are tools?

Tools in AveDesk are an idea from herd. A tool is actually a little handy script that will do something like resizeing all selected desklets or toggling the visibility of the selected desklets. The adnvantage for Tools above normal scripts is that AveDesk 1.2 has an integrated Tools menu, which can be edited by the user (see image).

tools_preview.png

Manage Tools

Adding/changing tools can be done in the 'Manage Tools' menu. You can right click the listbox and, add, remove, move up and move down tools. If you select a tool, you can change it's settings under the listbox. The Command must point to the tools physical file (often an .vbs file). The arguments can be tricky:

- $S means all selected desklets

- $A means all running desklets

- $$ would be a $, in case you need a single $-character.

Often, if you install a tool thru an .aveinst package, the tool will tell you what arguments to enter in the Arguments box.

tools_preview2.png

Available Tools

Box2.pngShow/Hide Desklets Tool

okay, so i've got my tool(s) added and assigned to a keystroke combo. i'm not sure i understand how to use them. how do i 'select' a desklet? i've highlighted from within the cp and hit alt-1, but nothing happens. nothing happens on the desktop either, and on the desktop, i don't even know how to select a desklet. i know i'm missing something so self-evident, i can't see it...

What if you click the desklet in the control panel and the click the menu-item?

see, i knew it'd be something right in front of my face. thx!

(is there anyway to use this without invoking the cp?)

hmm, the tools menu for me comes up, but i can't touch any of the buttons, or do anything, everything is grey'd out. :-/ *i mean the tools dialogue. i can open it up, but i can't do anything at all inside of it*

hmm, the tools menu for me comes up, but i can't touch any of the buttons, or do anything, everything is grey'd out. :-/ *i mean the tools dialogue. i can open it up, but i can't do anything at all inside of it*

Use right click inside the pane and then add a tool .

On a side note:

Hitting the key combination Alt+1 to actually run tool #1 didn't make it into the 1.2 release, also any accelearors you see on the control panel menus (apart from Alt+F4) don't work either.

AndreasV

Gotta little question... Is there any chance to use JavaScript skills in tools creating? :)

AndreasV

So all I have to do is just load .js file into Tools list? Right? :)

What if you click the desklet in the control panel and the click the menu-item?

man stiil dunno how to use it, I added the tool, set the argument to $S, highlighted the desklet then clicked on "extras > Show/Hide Tool" but noway.

please help

man stiil dunno how to use it, I added the tool, set the argument to $S, highlighted the desklet then clicked on "extras > Show/Hide Tool" but noway.

please help

You have to select one or more desklets in the list for it to happen.

yeah I did but nothin' happens. okey don't care, I'll live without this one. thanks for ur help herd