Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mac Tips!

25 posts in this topic

Updated October 30, 2005:

WARNING: This documentation is for computers running on genuine Macs ONLY. Not on Mactels.

Mac OS X installation:

If you’re reading this you’re wondering about the steps in order successfully install Mac OS X. The steps I will go over is pretty much the same for versions 10.1 all the way through Apple’s latest creation; Tiger.

1. Insert the Mac OS X CD or DVD in the appropriate drive and reboot.

2. When you hear the “gong” noise, hold down the letter “C” on your keyboard. If there is no OS already installed the computer will search all drives and look for a bootable device.

3. Get something to eat or drink, boot up takes long to perform from an optical device rather than a fixed disk.

4. When you get to the installation screen I recommend taking a look at the new disk utility, you should familiarize yourself with it. If you need to make repairs to your partitions, do that now. It’s very straight forward.

a. New in Tiger, you have the option of opening the terminal.

5. Agree to the license agreement and you’re presented with a screen saying, “Ready to install, click continue”. Click the “customize” button.

a. Tiger, by default will install about 1.1GB worth of printer drivers. Very unneeded. Untick them all, unless you think you need them. Also, it wants to install a bunch of support for languages. Untick the onse you don’t want.

6. Continue installing Mac OS. Restart when needed.

7. After reboot, you have to register. Then you’re done. Enjoy Mac OS.

UFS vs. HFS+

UFS is Darwin’s UNIX based file system. If you plan to use the Mac OS 9 classic environment (or dual boot with Mac OS 9 and want your OS X files) use HFS+. To my knowledge UFS is 100% POSIX compliant. Also with UFS, filenames are case sensitive! For example: “My History Report.doc” and “my history report.doc” is not the same file. I should mention that both file systems have the journaling capability.

Open Office.org and X11 –

O penOffice.org for Mac is very sexy, and is an extremely wonderful competitor for Office and AppleWorks. All you need to do is install X11 (Apple’s port of the X system for Mac) from your Mac OS X install CDs (for 10.4 users) or from Apple’s website, and download yourself a copy of OpenOffice.org and use the installer to install.

Moving your Mac, an all purpose guide –

• Unplug your Mac.
  • Find where you want to move it, the place where you want to move it must have enough space to fit you Mac on to. For example: You cannot put a powermac tower on your girlfriend’s face, she won’t like it.
  • Pick it up and move it.

Defragmentation and Viri

Mac OS is not Windows, It doesn’t have all the pointless problems as Windows (such as defragmentation). UNIX and Linux operating systems don’t have problems like fragmentation. Don’t spend money on Mac/*NIX software for fragmentation. It’s pointless. As for viruses, if there is one out you’ll hear about it. They are much less common as viruses for Windows. Saying that, you have to be a pretty big **** up to get a virus on windows most of the time also.

Sharing files between your Windows box and you Mac.

First: Make sure your two computers are connected via a crossover cable or via a router hub.

Click the blue Apple at the top left and click on “System Preferences”, click the “Sharing” icon. Place a check on “Windows Sharing”. At the bottom of the window you will see some text it should have this in it “%ip.address%username” note it!

Now on the PC side… right click on “My Computer” and click map network drive. Where it says “Folder:” type “%ip.address%username” with out quotes. It will ask for the password, type it in and click “OK.” Your Mac sharing folder should be “Users:%mac usernamehere%” so that will be mounted as your next drive. Now you have read/write access to your Mac’s user directory!

Links

http://www.tinyapps.org/ for Windows and Mac OS X TINY programs.

http://emaculation.com/ For Mac emulation and tech

http://www.aqua-soft.org/ For sexy aquaness and Mac a place to ask mac questuions w/ out getting pwned.

Above written by ihartmacz

Repairing Permissions

It's generally a good idea to repair your permissions before and after OS updates, or Security updates to lessen the chances of any potential problems (unscientifically: The first two OS updates (10.3.3, 10.3.4) I installed caused a kernel panic within five minutes afterwards - since then I've repaired permissions before/after and had no troubles).

To do this, go to /Applications/Utilities and launch Disk Utility.app

Select your OS X disk, and then click: Repair Disk Permissions

It shouldn't take more than 5-15 minutes

Uninstalling Applications

As simple as pie, just drag the app from the Applications folder (it's always best to install them there, plus it's tidier) to your Trashcan. However this method doesn't delete the preferences of that application; unless you're desperate for hard-disk space, you may as well leave them alone, since they're usually very small.

If you ARE desperate for space, just search for the applications name (or a portion of it) and trash any .app and .plist files that are found.

How to Find Out Why an App Crashed?

More handy if you've got a more programming knowledgeable friend, but it can still be helpful. Launch Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) and click "Logs" if they're not already viewable and expand the "~/Library/Logs" list, then the "CrashReporter" list.

An Application Won't Launch

Try the following methods before contacting the programmer/company;

1) Double check the readme and/or site for information on: i) whether the application requires a later version of OS X, ii) whether there are any files you need to manually install, iii) whether there are any software incompatibilities

2) Trash the preferences (search for the app's name, and trash the .plist file returned).

3) Trash the application and it's preferences, reinstall from it's DMG/ZIP/etc.

My Icons Have Gone Weird

Sometimes a few icons will get muddled up (3rd party apps having the Finder icon or your disk icons having application icons, etc), to fix this just log out and log back in.

For Tiger: Is There a Spotlight Shortcut?

Yes, press F5 and start typing. This is much quicker than clicking the Spotlight cap.

For Tiger: Why Is The Spotlight Cap Pulsating?

It means it's indexing all connected disk-drives, this can take a while (4-6 hours I believe), but once it's done it stops pulsating. During this time it may not return all the files from a search - so it's best to wait until it's done.

Are There Hidden Settings?

Yes, most of them aren't very exciting, but a few are fun. You can;

- Make launching apps not bounce, have their indicator flash instead.

- Disable the sheet "feeding" animation.

- Make scrollbar arrows double top or bottom.

- Change the minimize effect (Genie / Suck / Scale)

- Change the dock placement and alignment

- Enable/disable dock shadow

- Make hidden apps' icons transparent

You can do the above using TinkerTool, Control Freak and other applications.

How Do I Customize My Mac?

- For theming: use Unsanity's ShapeShifter

- For icons: use either Unsanity's ShapeShifter or Panic's CandyBar

- For wallpapers: use either OS X's built in preferences or MacRabbit's DeskShade

- For fonts/text: use Unsanity's Silk and TinkerTool

- For shadows: use Unsanity's WindowShade X

Where Can I Get Share/Freeware?

Some cool places include MacUpdate and VersionTracker. Although I prefer the former.

Above by esXX1.

Hmm, good info especially since I just ordered my iMac and will be a complete **** when it comes to OS X, any other links/info like this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for this, it will be very useful...if I ever gather the $ for a Mac :slant:

now lets hope that we make this an official thread and have less problems with help threads already answered. man. just by looking at the fact that the computer dosen't have fragmentation problems already makes me want to buy a mac!

What do you think I should put on my Mac?

Business userMicrosoft Office or AppleWorks, both are awesome! Check out tinyapps.org

Note: Office 2004 is an excellent suite. Appleworks is appalling, avoid it.

Get Quicksilver and you'll find yourself working that much quicker. It's like having spotlight early.

Good start ihartmacz. Lets keep the tips flowing.

Not another one.

I have used version 0.85 through 10.4, It hardly ever has come completely down.
Interesting since anything prior to 6.x was made before you were born, let alone still available by the time you were old enough to know what to do with it.

Not gonna get involved in this one.

BTW.. Happy 17th b-day. I do beleive it's the 18th of this month.

hehe thanx! and I found misc version of Mac OS online and installed them on my Macintosh Classic

I might as well add some stuff that'll be helpful for new Mac owners...

Repairing Permissions

It's generally a good idea to repair your permissions before and after OS updates, or Security updates to lessen the chances of any potential problems (unscientifically: The first two OS updates (10.3.3, 10.3.4) I installed caused a kernel panic within five minutes afterwards - since then I've repaired permissions before/after and had no troubles).

To do this, go to /Applications/Utilities and launch Disk Utility.app

Select your OS X disk, and then click: Repair Disk Permissions

It shouldn't take more than 5-15 minutes

Uninstalling Applications

As simple as pie, just drag the app from the Applications folder (it's always best to install them there, plus it's tidier) to your Trashcan. However this method doesn't delete the preferences of that application; unless you're desperate for hard-disk space, you may as well leave them alone, since they're usually very small.

If you ARE desperate for space, just search for the applications name (or a portion of it) and trash any .app and .plist files that are found.

How to Find Out Why an App Crashed?

More handy if you've got a more programming knowledgeable friend, but it can still be helpful. Launch Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) and click "Logs" if they're not already viewable and expand the "~/Library/Logs" list, then the "CrashReporter" list.

An Application Won't Launch

Try the following methods before contacting the programmer/company;

1) Double check the readme and/or site for information on: i) whether the application requires a later version of OS X, ii) whether there are any files you need to manually install, iii) whether there are any software incompatibilities

2) Trash the preferences (search for the app's name, and trash the .plist file returned).

3) Trash the application and it's preferences, reinstall from it's DMG/ZIP/etc.

My Icons Have Gone Weird

Sometimes a few icons will get muddled up (3rd party apps having the Finder icon or your disk icons having application icons, etc), to fix this just log out and log back in.

For Tiger: Is There a Spotlight Shortcut?

Yes, press F5 and start typing. This is much quicker than clicking the Spotlight cap.

For Tiger: Why Is The Spotlight Cap Pulsating?

It means it's indexing all connected disk-drives, this can take a while (4-6 hours I believe), but once it's done it stops pulsating. During this time it may not return all the files from a search - so it's best to wait until it's done.

Are There Hidden Settings?

Yes, most of them aren't very exciting, but a few are fun. You can;

- Make launching apps not bounce, have their indicator flash instead.

- Disable the sheet "feeding" animation.

- Make scrollbar arrows double top or bottom.

- Change the minimize effect (Genie / Suck / Scale)

- Change the dock placement and alignment

- Enable/disable dock shadow

- Make hidden apps' icons transparent

You can do the above using TinkerTool, Control Freak and other applications.

How Do I Customize My Mac?

- For theming: use Unsanity's ShapeShifter

- For icons: use either Unsanity's ShapeShifter or Panic's CandyBar

- For wallpapers: use either OS X's built in preferences or MacRabbit's DeskShade

- For fonts/text: use Unsanity's Silk and TinkerTool

- For shadows: use Unsanity's WindowShade X

Where Can I Get Share/Freeware?

Some cool places include MacUpdate and VersionTracker. Although I prefer the former.

Topic pinned.

From now on please: post only if you want to add something constructive.

For instant messaging, i suggestAdiumX. Adium supports most every protocal that is currently used. The only setback to Adium is that it doesnt support video/audiochat. For those, use iChat.

Thanks so much!!! I was wondering how to share files with my PC and Mac. I didn't think it was that simple!

Here's something that's bugged me since I got mine... how do I hide the program icons from the dock that I want to have running in the back ground? Like Fire, or Launch Bar or Drop Drawers...

That would be ridiculously useful!

Moving your Mac, an all purpose guide –

• Unplug your Mac.
  • Find where you want to move it, the place where you want to move it must have enough space to fit you Mac on to. Ex. You cannot put a powermac tower on your girlfriend’s face, she won’t like it.
  • Pick it up and move it.

Perfect guide :D

EDIT : Sorry didn't see the "constructive" post.

Post content removed.

Like I wrote a few posts above - please post only constructive stuff. FYI, one post below has been deleted.

-Pe8er

I cleaned it up a little and updated it with more modern information. Enjoy.

Also: Combined esXXI and I's posts.

ok guys i m saving for buying a macbook... its around KD 500, i haf got around KD 200 , so i think i will be able to get it in 4 months.. i know its a very long time, but i know its worth it.

my question is that , will the price of the macbook fall ?

Address Book can dial, send sms and display incoming calls of your bluetooth-enabled mobile phone.

lol ok.. another big problem. I have my mbp and my desk PC connected wirelessly. I want something to get printed from mbp to the printer connected to my desk running win xp. The printer is an HP Deskjet 3535. How can i do this?

These are very useful information, I'm new to mac so everything for me is new, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.. very very useful indeed.

You can load your documents in your favorite applications by specifying which application will automatically launch for a particular file type. When you double-click a file in the Finder, an application usually launches that can handle that type of file. This works fine for most day-to-day tasks, but sometimes it is not what you want.

Suppose, for example, that you have a JPEG file that you downloaded from the Internet using Safari. Perhaps all your JPEG icons display an icon based on the Preview application. When you want to edit the image that you downloaded with another application such as Adobe Photoshop CE or Photoshop Elements, you usually have to jump through some hoops to make the image open in the other application.

Fortunately, Tiger takes away some of the guesswork. You can instantly change which application will open a specific type of file. You can also tell your Mac to open all files of that type with the application of your choosing.