Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

[release] More Accurate OS X Logons

34 posts in this topic

Why don't you make your life a lot simpler and just use LogonStudio. It works fine with SP2. If you go the registry route, it should also work, but if you make a mistake that way, it is far harder to correct.

Incidentally, Prostoy claims to make a number of changes that are in fact not correct and are much less accurate than the version I have provided. I gave my initial permission for the release of his modifications based on the notion that it was for a Russian translation. What he ultimately released in English is more incorrect as far as real OSX 10.3 emulation and I would've had him correct his errors in his change log before releasing. His font selections are inaccurate, the container's size is completely incorrect, the avatar placement is not supposed to be "closer to the center", the use of the scrollbar is not at all how it works in the Panther logon, and the OSX logon DOES have a wallpaper background (not a plain color by default). But God bless him for trying. Ultimately, Prostoy's version is mor of a fusion between an XP logon and the Panther logon. I am currently at work on a true version of the Panther logon for XP using the Flash logon program.

Thank you very much for your answer Pazl!

:)

In fact i am now using your logon screen with Logon Studio and the result looks awesome! Thanks for your wonderful work.

The only reason why I thought about changing the logonui.exe directly was because I was not sure about the resources used by Logon Studio.

Does it consume a lot of resources or does it slow down the computer?

It is just running at the start up and when we shut down the computer, right? or is it more like Windowblinds?

Thank you one more time for your very accurate answer! :)

It does remain active but uses a miniscule amount of resources. You shouldn't notice any drop in performace unless you regularly push the limits of your memory with what you are already running on a regular basis.

And just to clarify for the record, because Prostoy contacted me today about my most previous post: I have no problem with his mod and I am glad it is an alternative for people to use. I am in full support of his version, but I just wanted to clarify some misleading statements in the change log to encourage bondjames to give LogonStudio a try.

If my computer wasn't the family computer, I'd use this for sure! This is as close to Mac OS X as you get (as PearPC proves :D).

@pazl

Thanks for your answer, So i shouldn't worry too much...

I am currently using your theme and i am glad I gave it a try.

It really makes my skinning more accurate.

Thanks again!!! Great job! ;)

There is no theme.ini file... How do I change the "Your Computer's Name Goes Here" text?

me too. NO theme.ini in my computer. :confused:

I find it in Ctrl+F. It isn't in my computer. Can you help me ? Where is that file ?????

This seems like a really dumb question or may be I have a problem.

I am not able to load this in Logon Studio. I just downloaded the latest ver from Stardock and installed it. When I click on "Load", select the logon file and click on "Open",nothing happens. The window closes and but it doesn't get listed in the "Avaliable Login". It happens for all the files.

Am I missing something ? I reinstalled the app like a dozen times so far trying to get it work.

I really want this login screen. It just looks amazing.:( :sniff sniff:

Well, it seems the logon can't find bitmap in it's resources. Here's the original line #40 in UIFILE:

background: rcbmp(2005,7,#FF00FF,502rp,493rp,0,0);

Most probably it means that bitmap numbered as 2005 is missing (bitmap_128.bmp in pazl's original logon). If you've tried to convert the LogonXP screen, take a look at your resources carefully: is there a bitmap #2005 (it's the "main" image in my case)? If you're using pazl's original logon, open the Theme.ini and take a look at section [MoreBitmaps].

That would explain his problem, but not mine. I installed my logon via replacing the Logonui.exe file itself.

The thing is, I modded Mark Raats's Leopard logonui.exe to match Snow Leopard. I changed the background, worked fine. I wrote 2 lines and moved the edge of the icon area down a tiny bit, and applied it via reshacker. It's a 24-bit, MSPaint-saved, same dimension BMP. For some reason my Windows XP is being stupid and is showing the same error. The UIFILE hasn't been touched; everything is as it should be (Mine's in English) so why is this not working?

Logon.bmp