Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

[rel] Desktop Context Menu Extension

46 posts in this topic

Hello, AveDesk friends.

Ever wanted to right click on your desktop and add a desklet as easily as a new folder or shortcut?

This small DLL does this. Extract the contents of the zip to a folder of your choice. Double click on adutil-register.bat. Click on OK. For uninstall, double click on adutil-unregister.bat.

Now, when you right click on empty space on your desktop, up to two menu items are added: "Start AveDesk" or "Stop AveDesk" (depends on AveDesk) and "New Desklet", if AveDesk is up and running, which will expand to a sub menu of all available desklets.

Issues:

• On 2000, it will place the desklet where the last click occured, if you have 20+ desklets, you'll have to move it up or so.
  • On XP, it will place the desklet where the right click occured in the first place.
  • It can't distinguish between the real desktop or a desktop opened in explorer, however the result is always the same.
  • Don't ask me to build the control panel access into it, because:

Futures:

• Starting with AveDesk 1.2, this thing will also implement a property sheet page in the desktop control panel item so that the AveDesk control panel will be available there, by clicking on Properties in the same menu.

Enjoy!

adutil.zip

HOLY CRAP! :D

this is better than ice cream! ^_^

i`m going to try it right now :D

Very nice! Extremely Useful.

If you plan on developing this even further, I suggest an AveDesk context submenu (like the Winzip submenu, among other things), with even more options.

You could move the existing things that come up when you right-click a desklet (Remove, Lock etc...) in this submenu. Definitely, however, allow saving by right-clicking. I think this is a fairly common gripe- the number of steps it takes to save a theme.

Already, though, it's fine as it is!

Great job herd! I can think of no one else as good as you to take over in Ave's stead.

-nightcrawler1089

It's great and works like a charm, thank you herd ^_^

Wow, would you also post this on Aero-Soft under the widgets section? PLEEEASE?

This roxors my boxors.

Originally posted by deadzombie@Sep 12 2004, 01:22 AM

Wow, would you also post this on Aero-Soft under the widgets section? PLEEEASE?

This roxors my boxors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if sayer = dz then

said = done

endif

Thank you all for your kind comments.

I did this because I got rid of the taskbar and all desktop icons

under 2000, so I had no taskbar notification icon to click on and wasting an

entire ObjectDock icon for that seemed overkill....

Avedesk is still going to be developed? By whom? Only you know?

This is great, thanks.

EDIT

Do you want this in the news post? Click the link in my sig to see the new "rules" I created.

I don't want to speak for herd, but all AveDesk development was turned over to him by Ave. There's no one I trust more- I know you had your part in AD 1.1, herd. Just out of curiousity, what exactly is COM Implementation?

Again, this context menu extension is a really great idea.

-nightcrawler1089

fantastic ... just what i was looking for, though i would have also liked a link in the context menu to avedesk's control panel. is this possible?

thanks herd!

Originally posted by nightcrawler1089@Sep 12 2004, 06:39 PM

I don't want to speak for herd, but all AveDesk development was turned over to him by Ave. There's no one I trust more- I know you had your part in AD 1.1, herd. Just out of curiousity, what exactly is COM Implementation?

Again, this context menu extension is a really great idea.

-nightcrawler1089

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

@nightcrawler

Wrong. Nobody, and definitely not Andreas did turn anything over to me. He just needs some time to get his things sorted out. He has been silent on this board since September, 4th. He'll make an official statement about his application whenever he wishes. I'm just trying to keep it Rock and Roll. Yes, nobody told me to.

COM means Component Object Model and is the fundamental, eh, fundament for MS technologies like ActiveX (As in OCX controls or ActiveX Scripting), OLE (The industry standard glue that allows embedding of a spreadsheet into a word document and most cardinal: OLE Automation). Similar tech is employed all over Visual Basic, in each office macro, etc. Whenever there's a script telling AveDesk to do this or to tell that, scripted effectlets, your PC'll be processing my code, (about 10%) however what you see and work with is all Andreas (90%). This DLL steers AveDesk by COM, so does AveFocus and hopefully some more stuff. I am nowhere near to take over. I can but contribute.

@kmccormi

Read the readme.

great work herd!

this features make really easy and fast the administration of avedesk...

Thanks!

Open mouth, insert foot. Boy was I wrong. Good thing I put that disclaimer in :D Sorry herd for jumping to conclusions.

I know all about Ave's silence- let's discuss it no more. I think we're going slightly OT.

Again, great work, and thanks for the explanation of COM.

-nightcrawler1089

Thanx herd, this is what i 've always wanted, but did'nt know i could have.

WOW! Thats addition is just great.

Now one of the best peices of software around is even better :D

Thanks you for your work.

Thank you for all your hard work herd. I remember when you came here and made your intro. You talked about the programming languages you knew. Looks like youve put them to great use. ;)

Great apps herd.

Right-clicking on desktop

seems slower since installing

this desktop context menu extension.

...any idea why?

w i e b e e s t

Originally posted by wiebeest@Sep 15 2004, 07:18 PM

Great apps herd.

Right-clicking on desktop

seems slower since installing

this desktop context menu extension.

...any idea why?

w i e b e e s t

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. When AveDesk is running, right klicking will take as long as clicking 'Add...' in AveDesks control Panel. To populate the 'New Desklet' menu, it tells AveDesk to look for and load each available DLL under its Desklets and Docklets subfolders.

This extension doesn't cache AveDesks list of available desklets yet in order to have newly installed desklets immediately at hand.

A future version might do this with the help of some enhancements in AveDesk 1.2.

Due to the fact that this DLL needs to be loaded into Explorer, it can't be a monolithic part of AveDesk and must be installed separately.

hth,

herd

I see.

There should come newer versions of Ave,

like including integrated that bring-to-foreground app.

I hope AndreasV will come to the conclusion

that all the fuzz here on As wasn't because of

him in particular and that he resturns to work on AveDesk eventually

because it's one cool app.

And I'm extra proud of it because it's made in Holland

:naughty: