Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Aveiconifier2

142 posts in this topic

Thanks for the wonderful application. This is by far the easiet app I've ever used, yet so powerful.

I had an idea, about an option you might want to include in a later version. I think it would be cool if you could include multiple pngs with the same file name but with an extension with the icon size. That way you could specify specific rendered images to a certain size. See the example:

To make ave icon with 72 x 72, 64 x 64, and 16 x 16 you could drag these images:

ave_icon_72.png

ave_icon_64.png

ave_icon_16.png

...And that would create one file: ave_icon.ico that would contain the rendered images accordingingly.

The reason I suggested this, is that some of the icons that I make degrade alot when it gets to 16 pixels, and if I can control the outcome (create a 16x16 version png) before I convert it, then the icon file would reduce its image size gracefully and present itself cleaner.

Just a thought, I don't want this program to get complicated though... So if that creates complexity, just ignore this idea.

Thanks

I find that dropping one high quality PNG onto the Iconifier and having it automatically resize and create an icon with all needed sizes is a very attractive feature, but the current implementation of this isn't sufficient.

There is a noticable loss of quality during the conversion. "Icontest.ico" is one done using Gimp to resize and Snico to iconify, the other ICO there is one done through the Iconifier.

post-1696-1090896050_thumb.png

I find that dropping one high quality PNG onto the Iconifier and having it automatically resize and create an icon with all needed sizes is a very attractive feature, but the current implementation of this isn't sufficient.

There is a noticable loss of quality during the conversion. "Icontest.ico" is one done using Gimp to resize and Snico to iconify, the other ICO there is one done through the Iconifier.

You are aware that the left icon is an 48*48 and the right one is 16*16? Windows likes to pick the smallest icon available and blow it up.

I will also look into the code to see if I messed the interpolation modes up.

AVE, first, I have to say this program is incredible! In par with all your other releases and done with style, however, I have to agree with Relativity_17 I have done tests with icon-to-png and back to icon conversions and Relativity_17's attached image says it all. ( :lol: literally )

I just need to ask is there any way to improve the "conversion engine" of this program? You have created such a simple, intuitive, and useful program that the first thing that comes to my mind is how many lives you've must have made easier in their desktop modding ventures :)

...but then something else comes to mind, with such an easy tool to use i shudder to think of the potential mass proliferation of icons slightly 'less-than-par' in quality into the modding communities.

Maybe it's not the program's conversions but just the size with which I am displaying my icons. Perhaps you could explain against my ignorance in this area.

But if there was a way to improve the on the conversion results, this app would represent the perfect blend of functionality and useability and quality! A trophy program to aspire to :)

anyways, AVE you never fail to amaze me in your talent and overall kindness without a hint of ego. I had the opportunity in the past to humbly request and give feedback during your port of your startmenu v2 docklet to YzDock, thanks again for your efforts and quick lesson in handles, i still use it :) As i am typing this, i am taking out my creditcard to post a thankyou, and i truly feel honored to be able to express my thanks. Your new release of AveDesk is great.

regards,

leon

EDIT: I just noticed the 48x48 and 16x16 difference aswell, Im going to go back and look through some of my icons and see if i missed something similar. :lol:

will report back.. *trips over keyboard*

Some clarification is needed on how WinXP displays icon sizes here.

As you all know, a typical Windows ICO file can contain multiple icons, of multiple sizes. However, the arrangement of icons in these ICO files is variable, you can have something like 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, and so on. Or, you can have something like 48x48, 16x16, 32x32, 24x24, etc.

To determine the dimensions of the icon as displayed in text under Tiles mode, WinXP picks the FIRST image in the file. That said, to actually draw the icon, WinXP will take the size closest to the one necessary (in Tiles Mode, this is 48x48), and draw that, resizing if necessary.

The distorted icon in my screenshot has all sizes in it, from 16x16 to 128x128 (yes, I edited the INI by hand). XP is displaying the image for the 48x48 icon, despite listing the dimensions of the icon as the first file in the ICO, 16x16.

*Edit: I did some further checking to reassure myself that my theory is correct. I went into an icon editing program and exported the 48x48px versions of both icons. They are also attached. I hope none of this comes as bashing or being annoying - I do plan on having this program replace my current icon editor once this issue is corrected. :)

And an example of non-distorted icons appearing to be 16x16:

post-1696-1090905686_thumb.jpg

post-1696-1090905686_thumb.png

Hi again,

I followed this process: I took a 128x128 PNG and dropped it into AveIconifier2 (most recent release) and dragged the resulting Icon to the desktop.

This was the result:

MIRANDA_osx_update.zip

(My desktop is at 1280x1024 with no modified registry icon settings, with the "use large icons" option checked in the "effects" dialogue under the "appearance" tab of the "Display Properties" (Sorry, I don't know what size this represents.)

Then I dragged the icon into a folder to get this view:

Then I thought I could open the Icon in AveIconBook and move the slider through it's different sizes (am I right to think that by moving the slider, you are able to view the icon's included sizes ie: 16x16, 32x32 etc..?) Unfortunately, AveIconBook's size slider does not tell you the dimensions but here are the images below as they correspond to the slider's position. I hope this helps in anyway.

post-25203-1116659966_thumb.jpg

oops, attachment limit, I'll continue on next post...

post-11887-1090907558.png

post-75-1090907558_thumb.png

post-75-1090907559_thumb.png

Wow, awesome bug reports :D Will check 'm totally when I am awake again.

Indeed, I just did a side by side comparison and a 128x128 ico being shown at 48x48 looks exacly like one converted to that size using aveiconifier.

it looks like nearest-neighbor resampling - meaning it generates aliasing because some pixels aren't considered in the algorithm.

whereas, using photoshop or gimp, I usually resize icons with bicubic or at least bilinear sampling.

Of course, I don't know in any way what these things mean, except that they produce a much smoother result.

Someone should write a patch for Windows itself and force the OS to use cubic resizing on graphics.

That way, all icons could simply be a single 128x128px image, and we could use any size we wanted, i.e. 36x36px, 56x56px, 62x62px, without it looking weird.

Of course, its probably not possible. :(

if only we could do stuff like that. Patch windows functionality, not just replace exisiting resources.

well, one can dream, right?

Avedesk itself resizes icons very nicely. I wonder what kind of routines it uses?

AveIconifier2 uses InterpolationModeHighQualityBicubic for the resampling.

This is what MSDN says about this particular mode:

Originally posted by MSDN

InterpolationModeHighQualityBicubic

Specifies high-quality, bicubic interpolation. Prefiltering is performed to ensure high-quality shrinking. This mode produces the highest quality transformed images.

(source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....olationmode.asp )

Maybe someone can provide me a good PNG file, like the one firecracker used, so I can run some tests with it?

AveDesk is actually cheating a bit on the icon-resizing. When an ICON is loaded, AveDesk internally converts it to a 32bits bitmap (png style) and doesnt depend on Windows to do the resizing of the icon, but simply resizes the bitmap generated from the icon. Which algorithm is used for the resizing of those bitmaps depends on the users settings.

@ AVE,

I'll send you the PNG image I used in the posts via PM now ^_^

Thank you for continuing to devote attention to this app. I'm excited to see it get to where it's going (If i can help test or debug in anyway, please don't hesitate to call on me.)

~fc

maybe the avedesk way of doing things is a good way for aveiconifier to do the same? avedesk on "good" resizes icons (pngs) fast enough fo me to use as real-time. I'll do a side by side comparison & send you the output when I get home

Is there an iconfreak that is willing to test things out for me?

@AndreasV,

just PM'ed you, I would be willing to test AveIconifier v2.x if you would like.

~fc

Edit: perhaps an email address would help: leon@americanautoclave.org

yeah, doesnt create valid icon files, maybe valid enough to display in windows, but when i try to load one in a visual studio project (basic, c++) i get invalid icon format...better compare some files and see where you're messing up

Not messing up nowhere, the app only creates 32bits icons, which Visual Studio cant handle.

Originally posted by edgarf28@Sep 2 2004, 05:38 PM

where can i find the longhorn glass skin for this??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i second that :)

Originally posted by firecracker@Aug 6 2004, 05:08 PM

@AndreasV

Here is the PNG @ 128x128:

post-1325-1119405098_thumb.jpg

I hope this helpsĀ  :)

Leon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

heh ... that's my photo and cam! ... and ya, it's ok to use for testing purposes ;-)