Xwindows Dock Receives An Update

We have some good news and some less-than-fortunate news.

3a2a83c03697ca2367507605a17896e2.jpg

First the good news: BOBAH13 has updated XWindows Dock.

However, in that same breath, the announcement:

Now I haven't any time to continue working at the dock. Thanks.

BOBAH13, On behalf of all of us here at Aqua-soft, thank you, for all the hard work and emulation/customization joy you've given us with your dock. We wish you the best with your work/life/play; you've gained the admiration of many around the world. From Seattle, Washington USA, a sincere thank you!

Now, without further adieu: XWindowsDock has been updated from v5.6 to v5.6+. (So far, it would seem this release does not come with an incremented version number.)

Click HERE to go to the download thread & release announcement.

Some observations on what I've found and like so far:

• The "Access Violation" Error upon startup has seemingly been fixed (Tested on Windows XP SP2)
  • UPDATE: Error message still appears on my XP SP3 machines, however, you have a new "Error Dialog" which gives you options to "continue," "cancel," "send error report" etc.
  • UPDATE: Gallery view mode no longer crashes and is very usable! This is a big improvement. (If only we could assign PNG's to Gallery Items, we'd have a Gallery Launcher ;) )
  • Layer order of 'Children' windows seems to have been fixed. (Now you will not have the parent window on top of it's child window.)
  • Skins for v5.6 seem to work on this updated version.

That's about all I can find so far. Until BOBAH13 provides an official change log, feel free to share with us your impressions and identified changes.

When the organization of support and release threads have been sorted out, I'll update this announcement with the appropriate links.

Please stay tuned.

This update is INCREDIBLE. The gallery feature (which I mainly use it for is just phenomenal. It eats up a little more memory but really hardly much more than 20mb with the whole thing vs. 15 without. It's incredible. I can view my entire wallpaper collection within seconds without having to mess around in explorer. There is so many customization options. Props to Boobah. Great work.

This update is INCREDIBLE. The gallery feature (which I mainly use it for is just phenomenal. It eats up a little more memory but really hardly much more than 20mb with the whole thing vs. 15 without. It's incredible. I can view my entire wallpaper collection within seconds without having to mess around in explorer. There is so many customization options. Props to Boobah. Great work.

Hi

so I'm new to this forum, and I'm currently using rocketDock. I wouldn't say i'm tech-savvy compared to most of he users on this site, anyways, should I switch to this xwindows dock? does it eat up a lot of memory?

thanks!

It is quite hungry on memory, but I find it's sleeker and for those who really want to get that Mac OS look, it's very close. IMO anyway.

you sound like you know what you're talking about, so here's another question :D

which of the bar-program would you recommend for a noob like myself

lol oops, you just lost me there!! I don't use bar replacers myself... but check out the customizing and application topics; there's a lot of stuff there and most of it is developped by guys here so you can get a lot of help and advice. Check this one out (because really we're not supposed to have this conversation here ;)

Edited by technosinner
lol oops, you just lost me there!! I don't use bar replacers myself... but check out the customizing and application topics; there's a lot of stuff there and most of it is developped by guys here so you can get a lot of help and advice. Check this one out (because really we're not supposed to have this conversation here ;)

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Finally someone asks. I would've asked but I didn't want to look stupid. :P
Actually, I have a feeling I know what it means... Before, when you had windows with children windows and you minimized them to the dock, the children windows would go under the parent windows when you restored them...

hmmm i think it was when, for example, you open the edit window of one item, and you changed the icon or the path, the new window that will pop up (child window) will open but it will show behind the first edit window... Was annoying because you needed to move first the edit window to a side and then open the child window and move it to the other side so you could see the whole window...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...