Apple Min/max

"Apple" here refers to the fruit, and nothing else.

For the electronics and software company, see Apple, Inc..

This app puts window buttons to the left, and window icon at the left of window caption.

Fifth beta, release candidate 3: (buttons behave exactly like Leopard ones to-do: show disabled buttons)

Beta version 2009-03-09

Beta version 2009-03-09

To-do list:

- Show disabled buttons.

- Show window menu on right-click (check whether this is possible, btw).

- Give option to user, to minimize on double-click instead of maximize/restore (Mac OS X behavior).

- Allow for different theme selection, to fit other visual styles.

It has some bugs yet... it can't skin AppleMinMax self windows, it freezes when using WinRar context menu options, etc...

You need to use LeopardXP Visual Style with Windows XP (any Service Pack). It will misbehave with other configurations.

An up to date screenshot:

screenshot1.jpg

aquasoft-separator.png

This app is still under heavy development. Mostly because of lots of work at job, exams, etc... and even other projects such as Stacks Docklet 2.0 and FingerXP which is almost in stand by (by now).

I've made a skin to make it match with LeopardXP Visual Style, but you can make your own theme and make it match with any Visual Style you like (as long as it is not an Aero enabled theme with transparencies and such stuff).

Before running AppleMinMax.exe:

AppleMinMax-before.jpg

After running AppleMinMax.exe:

AppleMinMax-after.jpg

However you can notice all titlebars look like active, and BTW min/max/close buttons are not clickable yet. :)

I'm just showing this as a preview of the app to come (and as a way to force me to get this app into a usable state).

I know there is LeftSider, but it puts FindeXer to the right of Explorer windows.

I know there is TrueTransparency, but it doesn't allow to put window icon to the left of window caption (I even contacted TrueTransparency's author, long time ago, regarding this, without a response... :().

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh i didn't know. i thought it was rollup. well i wouldn't know cuz i don't have a mac. bummer. can't afford 1, but then that's what this emulation is for!

so when are you gonna release it? cuz i'm using true transparency for that, but i don't like it.

edit: could you make an option to hide the window icon? cuz i don't like it.

edit: wait, on flyakite's website, the button on the right does do rollup. is that a mistake? how do you do rollup then on mac?

oh i didn't know. i thought it was rollup. well i wouldn't know cuz i don't have a mac. bummer. can't afford 1, but then that's what this emulation is for!

so when are you gonna release it? cuz i'm using true transparency for that, but i don't like it.

edit: could you make an option to hide the window icon? cuz i don't like it.

edit: wait, on flyakite's website, the button on the right does do rollup. is that a mistake? how do you do rollup then on mac?

Ok, this is what happens at least in the iMac I have access to (at work):

There are three buttons at the left: close, minimize, "maximize".

"maximize" doesn't make the window fill the screen, it just makes the window big enough to fit the image / document / web page inside it.

Double clicking the title bar minimizes the window (as opposed to Windows where it maximizes instead).

Some windows have icon, some not. The ones which have icon is because they are showing an image / document / etc..., and you can drag the icon (YES, DRAG IT FROM THE TITLE BAR) and drop it into some folder, and it will copy the file. Or you can right click it (or the title, or both, I don't remember, I'm at home now) and it will show a drop down with it's parent folder and the parent of the parent folder and on up to the system root, and you can click any of them and it will open the clicked folder in Finder. I wish I could implement that, but it will be impossible to me.

Then, Finder and some other apps have that "shade" button.

It is not a shade button.

As said before in other posts here, it just hides/shows the toolbars, sidebars and statusbars, so the only thing inside the window is the image / web page / folder contents / whatever.

I hope I'm not missing anything else here.

I can't implement the "shade" button, because it is very specific of each app (maybe as plugins, one for each app, could be loosely implemented... dunno).

Edit

About right-clicking the icon: I plugged a spare USB mouse into it, because I feel more comfortable like that. With Apple's mouse it is something like Command + click ("left" click in a normal mouse), remember the mouse has only one button. ;)

Flyakite emulates Tiger, not Leopard. Thats why. :)

Tiger doesn't rollup either

on Tiger and In leopard the button on the right hides the toolbars and sidebar

Mmm... correct me if I'm wrong then, but...

Mac OS X doesn't have such thing like rolling up windows. And the button at the right has nothing to do with rollup.

X11 systems (such as Linux) are the ones who come with window rollup feature. There is a button in the titlebar dedicated to this. As OS X doesn't have such feature, skins emulating it used the right side button (which has no equivalent in Linux and Windows) as the rollup button.

I'm not saying this as the absolutely truth, but as what I can see as far as I know.

Matonga just added the beta-release today: see first posting :)

I tested it, but it doesn't work here; probably because I'm using Vista?

I get the error: "Access Violation at address 00449BD9 in module 'AppleMinMax.exe'. Read of address 00000004.

But anyways, I'm still staying up-to-date on this! ;)

Thanks,

xfifteen