Winexpos�

WinExpos� is a clone of Mac OS X's Expos�, but for Microsoft Windows.

It is under constant development, and you can see progress and download quite stable :-) versions at www.matiasmoreno.com.ar/winexpose.

Here is a screenshot:

winexpose-screenshot.jpg

And a video (click to play):

winexpose2.jpg

I promise a better video soon :-)

Edit:

Download at:

version 2009-03-28

version 2009-03-28 at File2Go

Note: if you're upgrading from previous version, backup your exceptions list first.

version 2009-03-26 at File2Go

version 2009-02-17-b at File2Go

version 2009-02-17 at File2Go

[s]http://matias.securityconsultant.com.ar/WinExpose-2008-11-05.zip

Edit:

Ever wondered what happens to those bug reports?

http://www.matiasmoreno.com.ar/winexpose-bugreports16.png :D

Edit:

I was checking zip files, because I have even the oldest version (no sources, only binaries). And I've noticed the oldest file is... version 2006-09-29!!!

This is by far the oldest piece of freeware I'm still updating (by a very unregular basis, of course... though Mr. Yamaguchi won me on that recently... hahaha).

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I downloaded it, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get it working - How do you install? what are the hotkeys? how do you adjust settings?

(...)

Oops, now I figure I should put some install instructions...

It has no installer by now, just unzip to some folder (for example "C:Program FilesWinExpose") and run WinExpose.exe

A new icon will appear in the shell tray (the icons at the left of the clock in the Start appbar) (the icon is an "e" letter). Double-click on it and the settings dialog appears.

Hot-keys are not implemented yet. They will allow you to activate WinExposé by pressing, for example, the Alt+Tab keys.

Currently the only way to activate WinExposé is by moving the mouse cursor to the lower right corner of the screen (the next version will allow you to customize which corners of the screen, and/or hotkeys to use to activate).

And remember, this piece of freeware is under constant development, so keep an eye on it for updates and new features.

Definitely a must-watch for this program. It's very smooth and seems to work fine straight out of the gate. The only thing I noticed is that it doesn't seem to play nicely with WindowBlinds. When activating Exposé, it doesn't draw the window frames. Not sure as to particular cause but it might because I suspect it is because WindowBlinds draws its own window frames.

Will definitely keep my eyes on the developement of this one. Thankyou very much for the software. Hotkeys would be a huge plus but as it is it's an great addition to the list of OS X clones.

Edit: Another question...how do we go about excluding windowless objects? Say things like the dock (I'm using RK Launcher). Could you perhaps make the exceptions list take Classes or handles for that matter?

Edit #2: I just noticed that when I put the computer into hibernation, WinExposé throws up a constant stream of error messages. I wasn't able to see what the message said because it completely froze the system and I was forced to do a hard reboot. My guess is that it wasn't able to find the hook to the System API to call the window names anymore or something to that affect. Just thought you should know. If I can see what the error message says I'll let you know.

Doesn't work for me. Half of the screen gets blurred with some pixelish color pattern (See attached image) :(. Had to kill the process using Task Manager.

Anyways, keep up the work. I'm looking forward to seeing a good and smooth Exposé clone. Your work is very much apprechiated. As someone said: Great project!!!!!

post-23911-1159271789_thumb.jpg

guys, the issues which appear with Windowblinds and Styler are known issues to affect nearly all expose-like clones being developed commercially by TopDesk, WinPlosion, etc.. I believe you can get Reflexvision (sp?) to handle them better using a different screen capture method, but I think matonga has less complex & more rewarding things he could be investing his attention towards getting his program rock-solid. My 2 cents (as was previously mentioned):

~ Solid Implementation of an Exclusion List (System) which is easy for a user to work with.

~ Consideration for MultiMonitor Support. I only mention this now as I know, other developed clones ran into problems later down the line as they were never originally implemented with a conscious intent to extend teh program to MultiMon Support.

~ A user friendly way of modifying settings.

Don't get me wrong.. I use the styler toolbar and windowblinds and I wish wish wish the expose clones would not leave those ugly black frames or missing frames, and maybe matonga will be the one to finally figure out a work around *crosses fingers* I just wanted to clarify that some of the mentioned issues may have to be chalked up to the limitations of windows graphics system and/or program compatibilities.

Congratulation this a very nice :D

Just tried it, works right out the box for me, only one small problem which happened after I select the window I wanted to focus on. I've attached a screenshot of the problem.

exposebg6.th.jpg

The top 2 white sections were icons used by avedesk. The white line on the left should be "runme" but again it's disappeared. I've had to shut both down and restart them.

What is bizarre I'm also running 2 more avedesk "icons". The weather, in the bottom left of the screen and gmail notifier, bottom right of the screen, but they are both fine.

Specs of the PC are as follows

XP home

3ghz

512mb

NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache

If you need more info just ask.

Hi, new version of WinExposé availbale, with:

- User can customize which screen corners to use for activation (up to now, only the lower right corner and it couldn't be disabled, well now you can disable them all, or set any other corner(s)).

- You can also specify a hot-key to activate WinExposé (yes, Alt+Tab is supported, at least under Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2).

I would much rather have hotkeys please :)

Now supported ;-)

(...) and maybe - multi monitor support ...

It only exposes the windows on my primary monitor

Added to the todo-list. I find it definitively interesting, and I'm thinking to implement it this way:

Each monitor is treated as a "separate WinExposé", however if a window is between two or more monitors, expose it in the monitor where it has the most of it's area, plus any window being between two or more monitors will have to be animated in both... ok, it's all a mess to explain :-), I hope be able to implement it.

(...) how do we go about excluding windowless objects?

Very good question indeed. Let's say the current window exclusion system is "provisory".

Edit #2: I just noticed that when I put the computer into hibernation, WinExposé throws up a constant stream of error messages. (...) My guess is that it wasn't able to find the hook to the System API to call the window names anymore or something to that affect. (...)

Interesting. I always hibernate my computer and had no problems, but also whenever I try a piece of any software of mine, I get the "stream of error messages". I don't user hooks to system API (or I didn't understand what you try to tell me). Do you have a video cam? Maybe there is a possibility of getting sort of a screenshot that way.

Half of the screen gets blurred with some pixelish color pattern (See attached image)
I got a similar problem as you can see in the screenshot, plus It lookslike it has a problem with styler toolbar.The animation is quite smoot right now but It would be good if you could do it even smoother.:D

Strange problem, I will be putting more debug info inside the graphics engine, to see if I can find the cause of that bug. What's video board are you using? How much memory it has? Shared with main memory, or the video board has it's own memory?

I notice the problem seems to be specific to the wallpaper.

About the problem with styler toolbar, the explorer windows already have that same problem! (I solve it by capturing the same window lots of times till I get something different to a black square) (yes, it's a temporal patch, I have to find a better solution).

(...) ~ A user friendly way of modifying settings.

Need advice on that. As a user interface designer, I'm a very good football player. =:-)

(...) The top 2 white sections were icons used by avedesk. The white line on the left should be "runme" but again it's disappeared. I've had to shut both down and restart them.

What is bizarre I'm also running 2 more avedesk "icons". The weather, in the bottom left of the screen and gmail notifier, bottom right of the screen, but they are both fine. (...)

Is this the screenshot when after WinExposé leaves the screen? Do you know if these icons are using DirectDraw / Direct3D?

I will have to make some sort of compatibility list (known bugs when using other software such as WindowBlinds, AveDesk, etc...)

Ok I changed the avedesk from "normal" to "desktop icon" and it's works fine now. Thanks firecracker for the tip.

The same problem still happens with the runme app. It happens after I hover over right corner then select one of the exposed windows. I can't see anyway to change runme, at the moment anyway. I if come up with a solution I'll post back.

Strange problem, I will be putting more debug info inside the graphics engine, to see if I can find the cause of that bug. What's video board are you using? How much memory it has? Shared with main memory, or the video board has it's own memory?

graphics: ATI Radeon 9700/9800 mobility 128 MB video memory (not shared)

the newest program version (28th of september) gives me an error message saying "Division by zero". the 26th version does not. Hope I could help.

the newest program version (28th of september) gives me an error message saying "Division by zero". the 26th version does not. Hope I could help.

Can I get a screenshot of that? Division by zero is a bit of inside joke.

@matonga: the last two versions didn't work for me, but strangely I just tried today, and it works.

Also, I just tried the Sept 28th version, it it works too.

I also got a "Division by zero" later... and fixed it on version "September 28th (B)", now available for download. Try it and tell me so I can know if it's the same division by zero error.

Still having the blurrish pixels problem? In such case mail/message me the WinExpose.log file contents (generated in same folder than executable) (you can open it with Notepad).

got a problem here... the hot key doesnt seem to be working after reboot...

I used Control + tab but everytime I reboot the setting gets set to Alt+Tab. eventho it still says Control +Tab in settings.

also, is it possible to make it work with nVidia nView Virtual Desktops? right now it only works on the main desktop.

anyway. loving this program. hope they can include it in Flyakite. this is a must have.

GREAT WORK MAN!!!!