Vista Volume Docklet for Object Dock

I am developing a docklet for Master Volume control under windows vista (and maybe later I will add XP support as well).

It's being developed with C++ (Visual studio 2008), the docklet is able to:

a) Adjust the master volume level (or mute it) by selecting and item from the left-button menu

B) Adjust the master volume level (or mute it) by selecting the docklet (clicking with the mouse on it) and then:

- Step Up the volume ('+','UP ARROW') or spinning the mouse wheel up.

- Step Down the volume ('-','DOWN ARROW') or spinning the mouse wheel down.

- Toggle Mute ('SPACE BAR', 'INTRO KEY') or double clicking on the docklet

c) It should work under Windows XP now... so I renamed it to MasterVolume Docklet.

d) Included some icons from my own (sorry... I am not a designer at all... so they might suck!).

I am far from an expert in either docklet development and with the new vista sound subsystem. So it should be buggy and unstable. Still buggy... specially under XP, need some testers for feedback.

Update:

- 06/21/2008 - Fixed a small bug which prevented the the icon to be updated when the volume is adjusted via the mouse scroll wheel.

- 06/25/2008 - Added Windows XP support & created some icons (still looking for a kind icon designer who will help me out with this!)

- 07/03/2008 - Added configuration options to adjust the label shown by the docklet. Added configuration options to adjust text size for volume & mute status. Streamlined a little bit the icons & optimized their size. Fixed a bug that prevented it from showing the volume when OD is configured to autostart (hopefully it also helps alleviate the "freeze" problem I have been reported).

- 07/05/2008 - Did some adjustments to the docklet that hopefully will let it work well under windows XP (preventing it to "freeze"). Corrected the typo error in the config dialog.

- Added an option to select "Master" or "Wave" volume control under Windows XP (Sorry Vista does sound in a very different way, so it is not possible to support this feature on Vista), dll Version should be (0.1.0.5a).

- Modified icon update so that missing PNG's would not show an ?.

- 09/15/2008 - Fixed z-order of "muted" icon so that the docklet would draw correctly when muted and using the new OS-X skin by niklasw99.

Thanks.

You may download this docklet from:

http://www.feterspace.com.mx/downloads/MasterVolume.zip

Any comment & suggestions are welcome :)!

Ok, I have found no suitable icons, nor anyone has contacted me offering their own... so I decided to test my "artist" and came up with some simple icons for the docklet.

I have updated the zip file in my web site. Please check it out and send me any comments.

Samples icon:

mvolume_preview.jpg

I'll be happy to have some help with them... thanks!

The docklet is not available anymore in Wincustomize. I wrote small suggestions there. I guess, I would write it here.

First, I would like to say thank you to fedroponce for the wonderful docklet. For me, it is the coolest and most customizable volume docklet that has ever existed. The others can only change volume from a menu, only shows the standard win volume, or not as beautiful as this one, not to mention, it's fully customizable. This is simply a brilliant docklet.

It works fine on my PC (XP SP2). However, I experienced only once, a glitch when it didn't change the mute status (when I double-click) even though the system already un-mute. Not a biggie though, simple restart of OD fixes it.

My suggestions are:

Besides using the scroll, left-click and hold to increase volume and right-click and hold to decrease volume. Some users may prefer to use click instead scroll.

And also, one left-click would open a scroller, like: http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?skinid=644&libid=34. This is not necessary, it's just to make things complete, so users could change volume with whatever method they are used to.

That's it for now. Thank you again for the docklet.

The docklet is back at wincustomize.com I have also uploaded it to my site. You may download the updated version at both sites.

I added some of the suggested enhancements... like letting configure the label, adjust the size of the volume & mute text.

I will try to implement the other suggested features... as soon as I get my next docklet released I will find some time to get back at this one.

Thank you for listening to my suggestions and for the update.

I have tried the new version. The ability to change font size and to hide label work great.

However, it seems the new version depends on the volume image (0-100 png). Without it, the dock shows question mark. The old version, I believe, does not depend on the vol image as I could use 2 images only, Volume.png and muted.png.

And maybe you could make it easier to skin (no need for 100 png images).

The dock uses the previous used image if no image is available.

Example, I want the image to change on volume level 1-25%, 26-50%, 51-75%, and 76-100%.

So, I only need 6 images: 0.png, begin.png, 25.png, 50.png, 75.png and 100.png.

When the vol is at 1-24 the dock will use begin.png. If vol is 25 of course it will use 25.png. But, when the vol is 26, the dock checks for 26.png. If 26.png not available, it uses the previously used, which is 25.png.

Hopefully, it won't take much CPU because up and down the vol would need different checking. It would be bother if changing vol takes cpu.

That was only an example so users don't have to create many PNGs.

A new docklet? Hmm.. can't wait to see it.

Good luck with the works, and thank you again.

"Percentage" has a typo in the docklet settings. :P

I can't seem to get it to work, I try clicking and scrolling or using the arrow/+- keys and it doesn't change the volume. The procedure itself is a bit tricky, would be nice that when you click on it, a dialog pops up that you can change the volume (like the default volume icon does in the tray). I'm using XP Pro SP2.

Would it be possible to mod it to change the Wave volume, instead of the main Playback volume? That's how I have it set on my system, the Playback volume remains the same where it's the Wave volume that I change.

I can't seem to get it to work, I try clicking and scrolling or using the arrow/+- keys and it doesn't change the volume.
Hi, Bebi_Bulma. Perhaps it is not hooked with the API. If you double-click on the docklet icon, will it mute the sound?

The procedure itself is a bit tricky, would be nice that when you click on it, a dialog pops up that you can change the volume (like the default volume icon does in the tray).
Yes, I already suggested something like that. So, a simple left-click will open something like this: http://www.wincustomize.com/zoom.aspx?skinid=644&libid=34

And I also suggested left-click and hold will increase volume, right-click and hold will decrease volume. I believe, this can be the only volume docklet that we ever needed.

I will change this... sorry, I am not a native speaker... from time to time I mess thins up!

"Percentage" has a typo in the docklet settings. :P

It is important to first click on the docklet icon, so it gets the "active" window. After that, it should work... but I will test again under XP.

I can't seem to get it to work, I try clicking and scrolling or using the arrow/+- keys and it doesn't change the volume. The procedure itself is a bit tricky, would be nice that when you click on it, a dialog pops up that you can change the volume (like the default volume icon does in the tray). I'm using XP Pro SP2.

I will try to create the dialog you are mentioning... it's only that I am not such a good C++ programmer yet, so I have to research a little on how to do that.

Would it be possible to mod it to change the Wave volume, instead of the main Playback volume? That's how I have it set on my system, the Playback volume remains the same where it's the Wave volume that I change.

I will further investigate this... since the way sound is controlled both in vista & XP is so different I have to come up with something that will work on both environments.

I have found that under some circumstances the docklet icon does not get updated... it will simply "freeze" but the volume will change & mute... this is something I faced but could not reproduce on a regular basis in my virtual XP test machine...

Could you please test that, after "selecting" the docklet, if the volume actually changes or mute via the mouse buttons or the keyboard?

Hi, Bebi_Bulma. Perhaps it is not hooked with the API. If you double-click on the docklet icon, will it mute the sound?

Would you think that by clicking on the icon... or double-clicking, then the standard windows mixer applet would open would do it? Do you think that's good... or would it better to open a customized dialog with the volume slider there?

And I also suggested left-click and hold will increase volume, right-click and hold will decrease volume. I believe, this can be the only volume docklet that we ever needed.

Right now, if you configure the "Command" option to "C:WindowsSystem32SndVol.exe" and then click & hold the left button on the icon, it will lauch the volume applet.

Yes double-clicking the icons mutes the sound, but that's about all I can get it to do.

I already have a shortcut to C:WINDOWSsystem32sndvol32.exe on my dock, was hoping this one would be simpler since I only need to change the Wave volume, and seeing the actual volume level is nifty.

Would you think that by clicking on the icon... or double-clicking, then the standard windows mixer applet would open would do it? Do you think that's good... or would it better to open a customized dialog with the volume slider there?
Actually, before, I tried an application called PowerMixer from http://www.actualsolution.com/. PowerMixer allows users to change vol by scrolling on the systray icon. Users could mute the vol by clicking the systray too. But, my scroll wheel is not working properly and I don't have scroll wheel on my laptop.

So, I'm using an application called VolumeTray, http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Au...olumeTray.shtml

It allows users to change volume by right-click and hold or left-click and hold on the systray. it is convenient and fast to change volume and I can use it on my laptop too.

Since, their functionalities are not conflicting with each other (one uses scroll wheel, the other uses right or left click), I thought it would be nice if the docklet could do it all.

Regarding the slider, it would be nice to have a customizeable dialog. But, if it needs too much work, the default OS slider is ok for me. But, I'm sure, the hardcore would love to be able to customize a vol slider.

And, it seems the docklet depends on the image file. Example, if I remove glass.png, the dock shows question mark. The first version doesn't show question mark. Maybe it's a good idea to make it doesn't depend on image file.

Just checked the new version, so far so good. I will let you know if anything happens. Thanks.

@Bebi_Bulma: The new version has parameter just below the command. You could add /tray so, when you click and hold, it will show the tray volume applet on WinXP. However, I believe, changing it, will change the volume control instead wave. Maybe it is better for you.

Bebi_Bulma,

Just to understand your situation... what OS/Version are you using. Are the items on the left click menu working? I have included 10,20,30...100% menu items & a mute control on the pop-up menu... are they working on your setup? Are you able to change the volume via this menu?

Previously I have found that (specially) under Windows XP... after playing around with the wheel or keyboard (to raise or lower the volume) sometimes the docklet would freeze... sometimes it won't work any more (until removed/re-added or OD restarted), but sometimes only the images would be frozen... the docklet would still change/mute the volume.

Could you confirm this to me... so I can have some idea on what is not working for you?

Yes double-clicking the icons mutes the sound, but that's about all I can get it to do.

I already have a shortcut to C:WINDOWSsystem32sndvol32.exe on my dock, was hoping this one would be simpler since I only need to change the Wave volume, and seeing the actual volume level is nifty.

mdct,

After looking again at the OD SDK I was unable to find an OnRightButtonHeld function... without it, I found no way to implement what you are asking... maybe someone with more experience developing Docklets could help us out... but I think that if it is not in the SDK, that would mean that stardock should implement it before we can take advantage of that.

What's more... I thought that maybe left-click & hold and then moving the mouse up/down would be something that could help... but that movement is interpreted by OD as moving the docklet to some other position (or dock) or simply to move it away from the dock to delete it... so again, I hit a wall... I think I will have to do the "dialog" thing with the slider... but I really need to learn more MFC to do that.

It will take longer... but I will do it!

Thank you for your support and ideas.

It allows users to change volume by right-click and hold or left-click and hold on the systray. it is convenient and fast to change volume and I can use it on my laptop too.

Bebi_Bulma,

I've included that option in the latest release (v. 0.1.0.5a) updated a few minutes ago.

Please tell me if this is what you needed.

OD has not been updated for a long long time. I guess that's why the SDK also lacks of functionality. Too bad, it could be cool though.

However, I just found a way to change the volume by using right-click & hold & moving mouse up/down, it needs additional software called scroll++, http://www.carltonbale.com/2007/02/how-to-...o-scroll-wheel/. With scroll++, you could emulate wheel scroll by holding right-click and mouse up or down, and it works with your docklet, nice.

But, I don't know whether it would work on Vista or not though.

And another suggestion. Perhaps, more option to modify the docklet info besides the size, such as: change the text color and the text position.

Good luck with the slider "dialog" thingy, and it seems you fix the dependency of image as now I could use only 2 image files. Thank you.

PS: One more thing, I just realized that I couldn't save the settings. With the new docklet, "Show Volume Percentage" and "Show Mute Status" are always checked upon restart. Could you check it? Maybe it's because of my PC, I have an unusual PC configuration.

I've just checked with the latest version 0.1.0.5a and it does save that settings. There was a problem with the previous one... since I have been updating the docklet lately maybe it would be better to remove & readd the docklet so it gets it's configuration file saved properly.

PS: One more thing, I just realized that I couldn't save the settings. With the new docklet, "Show Volume Percentage" and "Show Mute Status" are always checked upon restart. Could you check it? Maybe it's because of my PC, I have an unusual PC configuration.
  • 2 months later...