HDD Monitor Docklet for Object Dock

Smaky

Since I am facing a lot of issues while trying to use Systats based docklets on my vista machine, I decided to continue my docklet development (and learning) with a docklet that monitors free/used space of your installed HardDissk o mounted volumes.

I would like to have you try it it and send me your feedback & comments since I am a little bit struck at on how to cleanly display the HDD statistics on the docklet.

Update: 07/04/2008

- Reorganized text of drive usage (hope you like it more this way)

- Added optional Usage Pie Chart

Update: 07/10/2008

- Added a few bells & wistles to the docklet display (like centering the text when only one meassure is selected).

- Received permission from iiroku to use his icon.

Update: 09/13/2008

- Added an option to show/hide the usage bar.

Update 03/26/2010

- Big update to the settings dialog. Added options to select background and font/graph color settings. Improved icon rendering quality. Tested under Windows 7.

Update 03/31/2010

- Small bug fix that prevented the usage bar from properly showing free/used space

Please, give it a try and tell me your thoughts.

BTW. the docklet is still under development... so it might (and I am sure it will) have some bugs. I have done some basic testing under Windows Vista & Windows XP SP2/SP3.

post-79521-12696630321_thumb.png

post-79521-126966304341_thumb.png

post-79521-126966305261_thumb.png

post-79521-126966307768_thumb.png

post-79521-126966308566_thumb.png

HDDMonitor - 0.1.0.5g.zip

Edited by Smaky

Works well as a monitor...one suggestion...when you click it, it should open the associated drive. The way it is now, I need to have a shortcut icon to my drive on the dock along with your monitor icon...if your monitor docklet could open the drive when clicked, I could eliminate one icon per drive.

Also, maybe a "nice to have" feature, but not necessary. I like to show total space and free space available only (no used space). When a person only checks one or the other of "free space" or "used space", but not both, you should center the text on the icon instead of leaving it left or right justified...it looks unbalanced when only one value is displayed...hope you understood that.

Right now the docklet supports a "command" and a "parameters" configuration... whatever you capture in there will be executed when you click the docklet.

If you want to open an explorer windows pointing to the drive (or volume) simply put "C:Windowsexplorer.exe" at Command & "path-to-drive" at "Parameters (say C:)

This way, whenever you click on the docklet it will open an explorer session at that location.

Works well as a monitor...one suggestion...when you click it, it should open the associated drive. The way it is now, I need to have a shortcut icon to my drive on the dock along with your monitor icon...if your monitor docklet could open the drive when clicked, I could eliminate one icon per drive.

Yep... I've been thinking about that... the latest version does do what you asked for. Wait until tomorrow, as soon as I get Iiroku's permission email I will add it to the Docklet zip file and update the download.

Also, maybe a "nice to have" feature, but not necessary. I like to show total space and free space available only (no used space). When a person only checks one or the other of "free space" or "used space", but not both, you should center the text on the icon instead of leaving it left or right justified...it looks unbalanced when only one value is displayed...hope you understood that.

It's easy to accomplish that... just copy the icon you want to use to the DockletsHDDMonitoricons folder (it must be a PNG file) and rename it to "background_whatever.png", this way the next time you open the config dialog, the file will be listed under the "background" combo.

May be I will change this in the future.

Works well...now if we could just choose our own icon :D
  • 1 month later...

Husaini,

Thanks.... and no, I did not forget about the POP mail docklet.... it's just I am working on three different docklets right now. But it's in the oven.

oh am I being late ?, here comes another great docklet, thank's a lot fedroponce, keep up the good work.

Oh don't forget about the POP mail docklet please:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

After a long wait, I have finally managed to update this docklet. I have added severl options to make it more skinnable (font settings, colors, graph color settings and size). Changed background icon selection to let you select the icon background that suits your taste.

Hope you enjoy this updated old guy.